About to buy a Voodoo 5 5500, i last question (please answer)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to buy a Voodoo 5 5500, i last question (please answer)

About to buy a Voodoo 5 5500, i last question (please answer)

I was just wondering if the voodoo 5 5500 takes over the role of the main video card??

And does the PCI lack some performance over the AGP???

Is $185 a good price

------------------
    Lord Dragoon
    Microsoft Works...ha..can you get a better oxymoron?

agp IS better! Especially if you have a Mother Board that supports 4x agp!
    $185 Is not a good price.
    That would buy you a GeForce2 Gts card! (With change back)
    Check out www.pricewatch.com and look for a card. They compare prices...
    Or www.techbargins.com and get ya a coupon for officemax or buy.com (Free shipping $100+ orders @ buy.com and $50+ @ office max right now!)

Are you getting the PCI card to run a 2nd monitor OR because you have no agp slot??

If not for one of those reasons I would say get ya a GF2 Gts card. -Just my opion.
    Tryin is the First Step Towards Failure.
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson

I only have a PCI slot, soo, there is a big differnce between the PCI and the AGP!!

Crap

IS the difference noticable??

It is just that it is so damn cheap!

------------------
    Lord Dragoon

For the Voodoo 5, the difference between AGP and PCI isn't that big.

If you don't have AGP, you might want to consider a CPU/mobo upgrade first. What kind of CPU do you have? If you don't have a Pentium 3 class CPU, I think your money is probably better spent elsewhere.

------------------
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, Creative TNT2U@175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

I agree with freon!
    If you have a weak cpu, (PII 300 or somthing) I think you might be better off getting a new cpu/mobo, BUT then you will ned a APG card (Unless you have one That is pci already?) I'm gonna guess its onboard gpu?
    How about a Geforce MX and a Duron or Thunderbird? With a new mobo... You would be styling then!!
    You could get all 3 parts for right around $300!!
    Tryin is the First Step Towards Failure.
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson

I have an AMD K6/2 ~550, 128 meg ram.

I have crap onboard video, and will it take over the on board video, in otherwords, is the Voodoo 5 standalone??

Any suggestions
    Thankyou all very much

------------------
    Lord Dragoon

You can disable the onboard, and run it on it's own, if thats your question

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Onboard video can be big problem, it only depends in what way is integrated.

K6-2 is SLOW for VOODOO 5, so don`t expect great number of frames in games.

It is not just K6 that is problem but socket 7 platform and old arhitecture.

Best way would be to go for new MB and CPU and som eaverage 3D card for beguning (Duron/KT-MB/V3 or TNT2) it would give you two times better perfromances then K6-2/V5 combination.

If you are not very demanding gamer and 25-30FPS is good for you then I encourage you to buy V5, you while be happy, ofcorse if your onboard video can be truley disabled.

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works corectly.

I have seen the Voodoo5 selling NEW for $100.00. I would say go ahead and get it at this price, but you will also want to upgrade your mb & cpu. A duron setup is the least painful ($) way to go.

In theory the V5 in AGP is superior, but in reality they both perform equally. Last night while you were posting this question I was switching out my V5 AGP and PCI trying to get a game to work exactly like I wanted it to. Using the same block of the game with both cards they both performed equally. Fortunately there is a late response to the HWC V5 review up in the Article Forumn and the guy mentions OC'ing the card and I tried it and it fixed the problem and that's beside the point of your question.

The reason I have the card in both flavors is 'cause I recently switched from a processor with a 100 meg FSB to one with a 133 meg FSB and I'm scared of burning parts up and my daughter can use the card anyway.

An added bonus of the PCI in my case is that I can use the PCI and my soundcard at the same time with no problems. If I throw the AGP in there then it and the soundcard conflict yet they both still seem to work.

I reckon maybe the point here is that if you have to get the V5, maybe you would find the PCI easier to deal with.

I've actually finally become disenchanted with the performance of my V5 over the past couple days and I can tell you that if I wasn't retiring in six months I'd probably spend my money on one of these Geforce cards I hear so much about and finally try it out. I've never found the FSAA 4 to be usable and I'm thinking that another card using higher resolution and 32 bit color would surely beat my card's FSAA 2 function in most cases.

Enough about that.

In an effort to be honest and accurate, through the day I've figured out that overclocking my V5 didn't fix anything like I said in the above post. I believe that disabling v-sync and picking the right refresh rate and the right resolution has finally produced the results expected. I have apologized to my card for bad-mouthing it in a public forumn.

Alot of times I know neither what I'm doing nor what I'm talking about. Oh well.

Where are the V5 for $100

I want one now, if i can get it that cheap!!

At pricewatch, they are ~ $180, Can you give me a site where i can see these prices.

Also, are there any dangers in buying from pricewatch, eg. warrenties (I live in Australia, but have grandparents in USA, so there is no probs in getting it out here)

If i wanted to upgrade, what speed would i go up to, only really want to spend 200-250 for a new upgrade. Would an Athlon be good?

thanks

------------------
    Lord Dragoon

I can't imagine there is any place that you can buy a V5 for 100 bucks. There is someone over at [H]OCP who seems to think they can pick up 3dfx's remaining stock of 5,000 cards at a price that he can sell them for $100. I don't know who that is but I wouldn't go anywhere near a claim like that.

You might post in the For Sale forumn here that you want to buy one and see who has what.

What is [H]OCP??????

I want to know!!

Anyway, thankyou all very much for your replies, i hope you have a safe and happy New Year

------------------
    Lord Dragoon

Thread Information