PLEASE SOMEONE!!!HELP ME INSTALL A CL GTS
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PLEASE SOMEONE!!!HELP ME INSTALL A CL GTS

PLEASE SOMEONE!!!HELP ME INSTALL A CL GTS

I just recieved my CL ANNIHILATOR 2 today, and I need help to install it. I reformatted my computer, so I'll have a clean system with a new video card. I installed windows ME, and then I installed the latest drivers for my ASUS K7M motherboard, which i think is the "miniport 4.80" drivers. Then I tried to install the drivers for my GTS. I wanted to install the latest drivers, so I downloaded them off the CL webpage. Then I restarted my computer. Then I tried to install the Blaster Control software from the CL retail Cd that came in the box, since it wasn't included in the download. Everything istalled, restarted, and found out my computer cannot reconize the card. I know this because, when I tried to open up Blaster Control, and on the left side of the window, there are messages that say, "Display Adapter not supported" and "No Display Adapter Detected".

I think my problem is that I don't know how to install the drivers correctly and properly. Can someone please give me detailed instuction on how to install a CL ANNIHILATOR 2 on a WinME machine. PLEASE!!! I'LL DO ANYTHING!!!!

Do I have to do someing else first before I install the drivers, like installing the Blastercontrol from CL retail Cd FIRST, then installing the latest drivers?

ANY RESPONSES WILL BE APPRECIATED,

ATHLON 550
    ASUS K7M MOTHERBOARD (intalled miniport 4.80
    drivers ONLY. Are there
    other drivers to intall
    for this motherboarD, I
    assume the BIOS?
    128MB
    CL ANNIHILATOR 2 GTS 32 MB
    SB LIVE!value

Your motherboard is similar to mine I think, I have the same amd 751 chipset as you. Mine doesnt wanna work either... You could try and semi-get it to work like this: clean install of windows, install dx8, reboot, install drivers that came with card, reboot (do not install miniport 480) and it should work, although slow as hell (~80fps in q2 at 1024X768). do any tweaking after that and it'll crash and take it to the stage you're at now, everything crashes.

Good luck, if you figure out something, lemme know =)

Why are you bothering with the Creative drivers?
    My GTS is from Creative, and I always use NVidia drivers, you get the same options as you do with the Creative drivers.
    There are only a couple of advanced options that come with the Creative drivers that you dont get with reference drivers.
    I've used Creative drivers before and I didnt like the amount of crap that it installed on my pc.(I like to keep a clean pc)
    If you use NVidia drivers they are very easy to install and remove, so its not too much bother to try different versions.
    Its always best to make sure that there are no remains of old drivers when you install new ones.
    With no drivers installed you should start from 'Standard PCI Graphics Adapter(VGA)'
    This is like a standard driver that windows uses for a vid card.
    Then once you have downloaded and extracted the new drivers into a folder, you need to go into display properties, advanced,adapter, and change the drivers.
    All you have to do is tell windows where you extracted the drivers to and windows should do the rest.
    NVidia drivers are only a couple of megs in size and there are planty to choose from.

Get NVidia drivers from: www.3dchipset.com (under the beta drivers section) www.reactorcritical.com

Start with 6.31 or 6.49, only try the 7.** if you have problems with the 6.**'s

If you need to clean the crap off your pc from the Creative drivers then use these two utilities to find old registry entries and old unused files( both are very good )
    http://www.tweakfiles.com/registry/easycleaner.html
    http://www.tweakfiles.com/registry/regcleaner.html

I have used both these for ages and never had a problem with either.
    If you have success getting the drivers working (can't see why not) let us know and we can tell you how to enable the advanced options with the NVidia drivers.

Also if you want I can e-mail you with a text file that will explain how to manually remove Creative/Nvidia drivers from your pc.

Have fun

------------------
    P3 800e @ 1 Gig with Alpha PEP66
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    Vortex2 sound
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Thanks for the responses Nvfx and Gasman.

First I'll try to install the Creative drivers, see how that goes from there. I was just wondering, do I install the Dislay Driver first or the Blaster Control(updated version 4.72) ?

Forgot one thing, has anybody tried those fast trax drivers (6.34a)?

How do they perform compare to other drivers?

Drivers first then other stuff after that.
    Re-installing DX7/8 is also a good idea after doing the drivers.
    FastTrax are not really drivers, they are supposed to be added once you have your drivers installed.
    If I remember rightly you have to have a Creative card for FastTrax to work but you dont have to have the Creative drivers installed, you can use the NVidia drivers and then install FastTrax.
    Unless they have been changed since the last time I tried them, FastTrax gives you a front end to all the options that are available. Instaed of ploughing through display properties you can just click on the taskbar icon and everything is put in front of you.
    The only down side to using Creative drivers is the fact that you dont have the same sort of choice regarding different driver versions.
    Look at 3dchipset.com and the list of beta drivers for NVidia cards is quite big, which means you can spend time finding the drivers that work best with your pc.
    Different people have different results/compatability from diferent versions.
    But if you get good results from the Creative drivers and are happy with them then stick with them.

------------------
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    Vortex2 sound
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Thanks Gasman for the response.

I got a couple question that I want to clear up.

1) I just ran my 3dmark test, and seems kind of low.

I used Driver versions 6.34 and I got

Default Settings,
    5082 3D Mark

Can someone please tell, if this is average score with my system or is it too low.

2) In 3D mark, the very last test, I can't run the test. There is a message that says " Hardware not campatible" or something like that. Can any of you please tell me how to fix this?

3) Lastly, Can someone please tell me the best performace setting to use in the Blaster Control. I ran the 3d mard test with everything default in the blaster control.

WinMe
    Athlon 550 Mhz
    CL Annihilator 2 gts 32mb
    128MB
    Asus K7M
    10GB HD

(nothing overclocked)

THANK YOU,

That score seems OK for your system.
    With a bit of tweaking here and there you could probably add a couple hundred on top of that score.
    At the moment only Matrox G400 and Radeon cards can do the last test, they support hardware enviroment bump mapping.
    If you cannot do the 64M texture test try upping the 'agp aperture size' in bios.
    Default settings are OK but try turning off v-sync.
    You can experiment with sidebanding and fastwrites.
    If the BlasterControl supports FSAA then leave this turned off, unless you want to experiment in games etc..
    The only way to really up the score significantly would be to overclock the memory on the GTS (not the core: its not really worth it, and limits the clockability of the memory) but do it bit by bit and look very carefully for visual anomalies, and crashing.

------------------
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    Vortex2 sound
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz