Nvidia to beceom the third great monopoly?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia to beceom the third great monopoly?

Nvidia to beceom the third great monopoly?

Kind of strange for a sturtup to come so far so fast, but with 3DFX dead and gone, Nvidia (while still smaller than ATI) seem much more up-and-coming. This could be bad. ATI sells mostly low-end stuff for PCs just above the "integrated graphics"/Intel. Matrox has made an exodus from the "3D" market all together and has gone for the small business / design market (quite successfully, but they aren't going to be giving Nvidia competion.

So we have:

Microsoft
    Intel
    Nvidia?

That would be:

$400 for an OS,

$1400 for a CPU

and
    $500 for a grphics card?!?

NOOOOOOOOO! Somebody save us!
    We all Think Different too.

well AMD is intel's biggest compition, and there is VIA with there chipsets with a lot of intergration and their low-end CPU's too.

as for Nvidia, ATI will be big compition for them (i think the GF2 ultra would not have been released if it weren't for ATI) ATI has a long term of new chips and new technologies to compete with Nvidia, and they will also be switching to a tighter 6 month product cycle.
    but remember Nvidia is for high end, even the GF2 MX is a fairly high (on my list)price for a video card. i bought my Matrox G400 32meg for $220CND when it was new and now for a "budget card" it's going to cost me $180-200CND? i guess either times have changed, or people, like me, just won't pay for extreme prices ie. GF2 ultra which is about $500-700CND maybe more, i haven't seen any yet.
    if prices go too high, because there is no compition, then there will be no improvement in the industry and it will come to a stand still.
    but as long as there is some sort of compition (in any price range) then we have nothing to worry about.

------------------
    cel 566@900, Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1.13gig, GTSultra 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

Couldn't agree more Hoyle. You have basically read my mind!

This is BAAAAAAD news.

I am seriously considering a Radeon now. I was considering a V5, but now...

------------------
    P3 750 @ 750!?, 128MB of PC-150 SDRAM, Aopen AX63 Pro, V3 2000 @ 175, 13.6GB - 7200rpm WD Expert, SB Live Value, LG 40x CDROM, Jazz 300W Front Speakers + Sony SRS PC300D Rear Speakers / Sub Woofer, Sony CPDE200 17" Monitor, Full Tower Case, Win98 Original Edition.
    P3 750 @ 750!?, 128MB of PC-150 SDRAM, Aopen AX63 Pro, V3 2000 @ 175, 13.6GB - 7200rpm WD Expert, SB Live Value, LG 40x CDROM, Jazz 300W Front Speakers + Sony SRS PC300D Rear Speakers / Sub Woofer, Sony CPDE200 17" Monitor, Full Tower Case, Win98 Original Edition.

why would you not buy a V5? if you thought it was a good card then get it. just because the company went under doesn't mean they have crap products all of a sudden.
    and besides prices for V3 and V5's could come down a lot because of this, so maybe getting a V5 is a good choice in the next couple of weeks.

------------------
    cel 566@900, Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1.13gig, GTSultra 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

I can almost predic the next big step for Nvidia: cut off all chip sale (or rise the price of) to card making companies such as CreativeLabs and Hercules. Make their own boards and promise a big, unreal, do-it-all card that will yet again rise the price standard of video cards. ATI and Matrox put themself together can start making "underdog" cards that out-price the Nvidia's. Nvidia folds, and the cycle continues.
    Bill Gates' wife name the company "Microsoft".....she got the idea from her honeymoon....

F**k ATI they are too big and I think way to ignorant.

If that is not true then they would get in to 3D era much more agresevly, and their DRVER support would be MUCH better.

ATI while suffer alot they are like big wail, and nVidia is like big white shark.

Maybe Kyro they are small enough.

No mather what I am not buying nVIDIA chips anymore, just like I am not buying Intel CPUs for long long time (actualy I never paid for Intel CPU).

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works corectly.

I think the reason Marinade didn't want to buy a V5 now is because if you buy one now Nvidia gets the money.

ATI is to big, and arrogant, to compete with Nvidia in the high-end space, but they will continue making low end and mid range stuff, probably quite successfully.

Matrox, like I said has their own market. ATI has a few gadgets that try to compete, and they are very pale in comparison. Nvidia may someday go into the 2D/workstation card market, but there they haven't got the name Matrox has. For any professional video machine, mid/low end CAD workstations (high end = $450 O2 based cards) Martox is what I put into them. Nothing else has the graphics features, reliability, and drivers to cut it in that market.

Truth is, the barrier to entry in the stand-alone GPU market is pretty high, and I don't expect Kyro to pull it off. Their Evil Kyro is pretty impressive from an innovation stadpoint, but the actual GPU seems pretty weak. The ATI radion really is a great card, but ATI has other problems, and I think Nvidia has enough inertia to kick them out of the high end (which will be out of the market with the proliferation of integrated video. In fact, Nvidia is currenlt working with AMD to make an integrated video high-end graphics workstation chipset. They might get in there as well.

In a way it seems we will now witness the second great dieoff. The first came with the success of the IBM PC. The IBM/MS/Intel platform enetered a market with dozens of competitors and in a few short years hade entirely routed every last bit of competition save Apple.

All non-IBM PC system builders wnet under, to be replaced by the likes of Dell and Compaq and Packard Bell. All the other chip comanies were destroyed, save Cyrix and AMD, then only AMD. All the other OSes were destroyed.

In the past five years of so new markets have crept up. Lots of people making HDDs, Sound, and Video cards. I think we might be on the verge of another dieoff, where the winners win and everything else goes away. In Hard drives, Seagate escaped to the high-end. WD is just remarking IBM mechanisms, and the only real contendants are Maxtor and IBM, in volume and performance. Quantum is always trying to get in there, but they don't have the sales.

Perhapse duopoly isn't so bad?

We all Think Different too.

Cyrix, under the leadership of powerful VIA, with the help of both Cyrix and Centaur teams, seems to be preparing itself for a comeback. It is not dead yet, just hibernating.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Deanril Guest
    Interesting to say the least.

3DFX Died for 2 main reasons

#1 could not do a 6 month product cycle

$2 decided to cut all the board company's off and build their own board(stb aquisition)

What will Nvidia do??

They are not to worried about ATI,infact they just surpased ATI a short while ago in sales,now for the longest time ATI was #1 in sales due to all of their Oem sales,but no more.For the longest time,companys like Nvidia or 3DFX could only dream of the sales ATI was having.

The best that ATI can offer doesnt even beat or come close to Nvidia's best,ATI will attempt to fill the lowend and midgrade positions,I just dont think they will ever come out on TOP.

If I were ATI,and Nvidia I would focus on OEM a little more,actually Nvidia is doing really good in that departmant right now.ATI needs to try and get their strog grip on the Oem's back and start making sales,and do some R&D.

But here VIA,they will start shipping anyday with their AMD chipset with the s2000 2D and savage 4 3D,should be good.But then again Nvidia is going to make a intergrated chipset aswell,there will be good competition there.

I dont think Nvidia will charge anymore then they allready do(they charge plenty),I just dont see that happening,obviously ATI currently has nothing to beat Nvidia,but could come close in the future and people will shop where their budget needs to shop,not where their loyalties are.

as for Matrox,currently gaming like out the window,but there sure is plenty of room for them in the market,they should do some serious R&D and surprise everybody and come out with some sheeet!

Deanril Matrox will be coming out with some sheeet... they just won't say when. It's called the G800 (oh how imaginative) but Matrox reuse to say when, what, in fact anything at all except for Fusion. Check out the Matrox Users' forum for a bunch of rumours/information.

There's a reason pretty much all the OEMs choose Matrox for their business machines: their image quality kicks arse. I'm plenty happy to give up a few fps in exchange for an orgasm each time I play.

------------------
    How can we see where we are going, if we don't open our eyes??

Deanril Guest
    Sounds good a13antichrist Ive never had the pleasure of using a Matrox,I only hear GOOD things,The Best 2D is what I mostly hear.

I would buy 1 if it kicks some butt.

I currently have a GeForce DDR,now the 2D is pretty good ,Im sure not as good as Matrox,and the 3D is very good,Im not upgrading any time soon,there simply isnt any cards out that are worthy ,atleast in the $300 range that I would spend.

They need to figure the Ram situation out,like use Quad Data RAM or something,I would like to see atleast a 50% increase in performance before I shell out $$$$$$.

Hoyle: You are correct. I do not want my money going to Nvidia. They can kiss my arse.

Also, I find it difficult to predict what 3dfx driver / warranty support will be like from now on.

Checked out the price of a Radeon today. *COUGH* *CHOKE* GASP*

Wow! Are they expensive or what!?

Someone help me... I, for a split second, considered a G450 for a single monitor gaming machine!

------------------

Who said nVidia might cut their chip sales to Creative?

Hello? Creative make the reference boards.

Cheers,
    Chris

------------------
    Digimate MVP3 Mobo
    K6-2 500mhz
    128MB RAM
    Voodoo 3 2000 @ 172mhz
    6GB + 4GB UDMA33 HDD
    50x CD-ROM
    Soundblaster Live! 1024
    CSW FPS1500 4.1 Speakers Windows 98SE
    Athlon XP Barton 2500+ @ 2,075 GHz
    MSI K7N2-Delta ILSR
    2x SATA 80GB Maxtor Plus 9 in a RAID Mirror
    512 MB Crucial PC2700 DDR
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB
    Logitech Z-560
    Relisys TL766B 17" TFT
    Windows 2000 Professional

Is Radeon VE going to have T&L??? If it is, my next card it will be.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

If the shareholders agree with wrapping up the company, 3dfx drivers and support will cease to exist. That's what's so attractive about this deal to Nvidia - they get all of the stuff they can make money on, and none of the liabilities.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thread Information