19" Flatscreen monitor shopping ($500 or less)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19" Flatscreen monitor shopping ($500 or less)

19" Flatscreen monitor shopping ($500 or less)

I think my MAG DX15T flatscreen is finally on the virge of kicking the bucket after 4 years of constant use. The gamma seems way too bright from thousands of hours of use. I have to turn gamma down now with the little knobs to make it so the words are not blurry and get rid or some of the whitewash effect... this makes the screen too dark for my taste. So I'm in the market for a new monitor and I would like to find a 19" flatscreen with great picture quality/dp for around $500 or less.

*I probably wont go with another MAG even though this one lasted a while and it is .25 dp, I did not care for the loud <chunk and click sounds> it made when booting the computer, and various sortware.

Anyways great monitor suggestions are appreciated, leave link if avail. and comment why you like them =)

Check out the monitors from Hitachi and Samsung at www.computers4sure.com

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

My vote is for the ViewSonic Professional Series PF790.

It's ViewSonic, has the Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube, it's less than $500 (if you shop smart), it's actually flat unlike most monitors that just say they're flat, and it just plain has a big, beautiful and clear display that looks great for everything I use it for.

------------------
    what?

You might consider the 19" Optiquest Q95. It's sold for less than $300, witch is really cheap IMO. If you're looking for the best quality/$ ratio, the Q95 is for you. My friend bought one, the screen was set too dark at default but once ajusted a bit it's real nice, crisp and clean. I really think I'm gonna get one

Maximum PC gave Sony Monitors "Monitor of the Year Award." last year and this year. 2 Year in a row. Check out the reviews yourself, most of them would recommend Sony Monitors over all the monitors mentioned here. From what I've noticed, whenever you ask someone about something, people recommend what they're using at the moment, not the best one or the one that got the greatest reviews. So here's a link to a review. You could check out almost every review site and the MAJORITY of them would recommend a Sony monitor if you can afford them. Check out Pricescan.com I saw a sony 19 inch True-Flat screen for only $480 or something. Here's the link for the review http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=172

Thanks for all your replies! I took a look at all of the suggestions and links

I will most likely go with the Viewsonic PF790 although I did read your link on the Sony E400 Barracuda.

The max refresh on the E400 is better than the PF790 but the article said was unstable and bad flickering at that resolution for the user, (said may have been a conflict with his vid card.) Granted, the max res on the PF790 will probably flicker too.. I know going to run at lower 1280 res anyway. I did notice that the PF790 runs at 5Hz higher than E400 at the 1280 res ..hehe but might be hard to pass on a Sony trinitron.

I know more than one damper wire perma fixed on the E400 screen would probably bug me since I currently have 1 on my MAG and it took me a long time to live with it. So I'll probably take a chance on ViewSonic after I go take a look at a few with white background screens at a retail shop tomorrow. Buy via pricewatch of course

Thanks Again!

[This message has been edited by Spuck (edited 11-28-2000).]

The Hitachi is the 19" CRT in the world. Samsungs are just a great price for what you get.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Viewsonic PF790 for $389 (FREE S/H ) at www.onvia.com

You guys are so rich.

I have to live with my $179 19inch.

Both the E400 and the PF790 have 2 damper wires. In my experience ViewSonic's are significantly harder to see than Sony's, but I'm not sure how much it varies between individual monitors - I may have just had a good VS and a bad Sony.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I have the Mag800V and it makes no sound when it resizes. Yours does that because several years ago they all did. It is from the way that the switching is one. Before they used actual switches but now its done through IC's or at least thats the way I understand it.

My Mag800V looks great. So I wouldn't write off the company because of the past. I have an old viewsonic that does the same thing.

Also Sony warranties are like 1 year. Everybody else/or almost have 3 year warranties on their CRTs and are cheaper. PCworld reccomends the MAG and yes I have read bad reviews of many sony monitors.

Usually reviews are biased anyway. Did you ever notice that the companies that aren't advertising in that mag has the worst reviews??

Almost guaranteed to be the truth.

[This message has been edited by mx-6* (edited 12-21-2000).]
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

i'm going to tell you what i tell everybody else. i swear by mitsubishi diamondtron crts. i like the NEC the best. too many graphics professionals i have worked with have been dissappointed with sony, their warranties are not as good, as mx-6* pointed out, and they are more expensive than everybody else. when it all comes down to it though. i have SEEN and USED lots of monitors, and i like the mitsubishi CRTs the best almost without fail.

i dont know where you live, but you always gotta factor shipping into monitor purchases. onvia.com has good monitor prices and shipping is already included. they are also a big outfit that seems to stand behind their product.

------------------
    im an OCer now!
    tbird 950@1g - kt7raid
    1024mb crucial RAM
    2x 30gb ibm gxp - raid0
    2x plextor 1210a - pioneer 16x
    sblive platinum - klipsch pro media
    g400max - 22" NEC fp1370 + 15" dell
    reincarnated from myklpaso reincarnated from never2muchRAM

yes I am I again.

Thanks for the great suggestions and info everyone. Special thanks to NUTS4GTS for pointing me where to buy! I saved a lot of cash on the PF790, had staples.com match the price and used a $40 off coupon from techbargains whahoo!

nice choice. you'll be pleased. mitsubishi crt!

------------------
    im an OCer now!
    tbird 950@1g - kt7raid
    1024mb crucial RAM
    2x 30gb ibm gxp - raid0
    2x plextor 1210a - pioneer 16x
    sblive platinum - klipsch pro media
    g400max - 22" NEC fp1370 + 15" dell
    reincarnated from myklpaso reincarnated from never2muchRAM

yes I am I again.

I didn't see PF790 on Staples webpage ? I was considering trying a PM/first user's discount with Staples on an NEC FE950. I would really prefer PF790....for $350 it is a great deal Maybe another price cut after the first of the year?

------------------
    Apex MidTower w/250W P/S
    Tyan Trinity 400, Rev. 4, BIOS 1.07
    FC-PGA 500E @ 700(5 X 140 @ 1.7V)
    MS 6905 Rev. 2 Master Slocket
    Global Win FKP-32
    Micron 128MB PC100 @ 140 (Cas3) SDRAM
    Xentor32 TNT2U @169/185
    15.3GB DiamondMax Plus 40, ATA66, 7200rpm HDD
    SBLive! Value
    FPS-1000
    Windows '98FE