Digital camera, which one you like ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital camera, which one you like ?

Digital camera, which one you like ?

I know I open an old subject, but when you make a research you find a lot of interesting stuff.
    So I'm looking to buy a digital camera, and I'm not sure yet which one to buy.

I have my one rules:

* to have a good resolutions at arround 2 MP
    * at least 8 Mb memory
    * zoom (optical if is possible)
    * sensitivity 400 ISO (this is important for making shots in darker places , right ?)
    * good price

I'm a home user, maybe I make 10 pictures per month, maybe more or less, depends.
    But I need a good resolution, because I'm gowing to print that pictures.

Could you provide me your experiences with one of you digital camera, please.

Thanks a lot guys

------------------
    If some one betrays you one, it his fault; If he betrays you twice it is yours

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php3 http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM04.HTM

Hope this helps!!

------------------
    No I'm Not A Rocket Scientist, but I did stay at a "Holiday Inn" last night!!
    Ford Mustang GT 2001
    281 Cubic Inch/260HP - Fully Loaded - Mach 460 Surround Sound - Silver Metallic - 17" Aluminum Alloy Rims

Thanks for reply, I allready check (I think) all the post from HWC, about digital camera.
    I know this Kodak DC - 280 has a good reputation here on this forum. Maybe not only.
    I want to ask you what is mean exactly this sensivity and where is usefull for, becouse this camera has only ISO 70, compare with some other brand name (from ISO 100 to 400).

I'm interesting if I can take some pic during the night time.

------------------

I'd imagine it'd be fairly expensive, but my favourite would most certainly have to be the Olympus Camedia E-10.

The new CamediaTM E-10 is the world's first 4-megapixel filmless digital SLR for under $2,000 and combined with an 11+ MB file size, TruePicTM technology and the first ED glass fully multi-coated lens.
    ------------------
    HWC Members Gallery
    www.hwcpics.totalserve.co.uk

HWC ICQ Active List

Check that post I referred to and the link to some of my pics. I really like the Olympus !

------------------
    If pro is the opposite of con,
    What is the opposite of progress ?

So , can somebody tell me what is mean this ISO for cameras ?
    Is a condition to choose highest ISO number, to got a good quality for pictures ?

------------------

Do you know guys a store arround Toronto area where can I find some digital cameras ?

Thanks

------------------

Kodak DC280

It is rated #1 in digital cameras under $500.
    It is rated among the best in color testing.
    It is rated among the best in outdoor shooting.
    It is rated among the best in indoor shooting.
    And it is under $500. (including a battery charger, 32MB of flash memory, ZOOM, for a 2.3Mpixel)

Olympus digital cameras are a$$ when you do indoor shooting. Otherwise they are good candidates also. But the built quality is not always good.

Is Kodak DC3400 (much) better than DC280 ? I figure it is , but worth the price ?

Did smbd have this camera ?
    Problems ?

------------------

I have been quite pleased with my results when shooting indoors. I really like the 3X optical zoom also.

------------------
    If pro is the opposite of con,
    What is the opposite of progress ?

Mitch,
    ISO does refer to the film sensitivity - in effect it gives you a relative measure of how much light will be needed to capture the frame. IE, using ISO 400 film requires 1/4 the amount of light as ISO 100, and 1/2 the amount as ISO 200.
    This means that you can use higher shutter speeds with faster film if you want to capture fast movement like sports action, or night-time shots where there is very little light. This is also why the ISO rating is also referred to as the film speed.

The other advantage is that under the same conditions (light level, focal length, etc.) the higher-rated ISO film will allow you to set a smaller aperture (higher number), which gives you a larger depth of field. This just means what % of the photo is in focus. Say you're on holiday & you want to take a photo of your wife, with the mountains in the background. Using a really large aperture (small number) will get your wife in focus and leave the background blurred, whereas a small aperture will get both in focus. A large aperture is used most often with portraits, a small one with landscapes. The faster film allows you to do both more effectively, without having to change the film.

Note though that faster is not alwas better. With faster film you will find it very difficult to maintain the image quality when you try to enlarge the image. This is simply because the film has had less time to take in the image detail and so when you enlarge the pic by more than about 200%, it will get noticeably grain which can really spoil an otherwise-awesome photo.

In the case of digital cameras, the principal is still the same, but since you're not using film but rather an aray of pixels, I would expect the grain effect with faster ISO settings to be accentuated.. simply because you're already transferring an image into little dots.. this is just a guess though, I haven't had enough experience with digital cameras yet to say for sure.

As far as I'm aware, most of the more modern digitals give you the option of manually selecting the ISO.. which can be very useful indeed.. say you want to take a photo with the mountains in the background, just like before. You set a high ISO (~400) and take a flly focused shot. Then you change your ISO to 100 and take a close-up portriat of your wife, which you can then blow up to poster size with minimal graining effect. Of course enlargements are always a bit trickier with digitals, but you get the idea.

Anyway hope that helps!!! (Sory about the rambling!! )

------------------
    How can we see where we are going, if we don't open our eyes??

Thanks very much for reply, yes now is clear what is mean ISO

Because Kodak DC-280 has only ISO 70, you think is enough to take pictures indoors , or during the night time ?

------------------

According to what a13antichrist stated and if I understand him correctly, that would mean it was pretty bad for indoor shooting!

ISO 70 is very inflexible.

------------------
    HWC Members Gallery
    www.hwcpics.totalserve.co.uk

HWC ICQ Active List

Buy a sony dv cam.....
    Fire wire in-stall and you have a great item>>>.
    Perfect for stills and movie editing!

[This message has been edited by terrylhouse (edited 12-05-2000).]
    They all fall the first time! "The Matrix" The Movie, or was it?

Thread Information