GeForce2 MX 32MB vs Power Colour EVIL KYRO 64MB
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: GeForce2 MX 32MB vs Power Colour EVIL KYRO 64MB

GeForce2 MX 32MB vs Power Colour EVIL KYRO 64MB

I'm upgrading from a V3 and I need a new low price video card. The problem is, that there are 2 really good card out there and I can't decide which it pick. The GeForce2 MX is fast but only has 32mb so I don't know how it's gonna hold out in the future. The Kyro has some nice features and with 64mb it's gonna last for a while. Anyway, what do you guys think of these cards and which should I get?

You must also consider the operating frequency of the Kyro. The memory only runs at 115mhz and the proc runs at 125, where as a comparable MX would be 166/175. The MX also has T&L and a much better driver set. Two major features of the Kyro 64mb, which can be had for $129, stand out. One is the Environment Mapped Bump Mapping which can make games look downright beautiful. It was a feature pioneered by Matrox on the G400 series and is now also available on the G450, the Radeon, and now the Kyro. It makes games look a lot nicer. Couple that with faster FSAA than Geforce2 MX and you see where I'm going. The next feature is tile-based rendering. Basically, the card renders only what the eye can see. This is the only region the slow T&L-less Kyro can start nipping at the heels of the MX. It isn't yet perfectly implemented, but subseqent driver releases should improve it considerably. For the price, if you want speed and environment mapped bump mapping I would suggest the ATI Radeon SDR which has it as well as Hyper Z, which is similar to tile based rendering. It will also be faster than all of the above and the games will look better. If you can, try to get the DDR, which is an extra $20 above the SDR.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Oh yeah I forgot all about the ATI Radeon SDR. That's probably due to the rareness of this product in my area. Well the DDR version is here but that is past $200 CAN which is more than I'm trying to spend. I'll try to do more research on the ATI Radeon SDR, thanks for the reply.

Thread Information