HSF removal and replacement
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HSF removal and replacement

HSF removal and replacement

I just got a Voodoo5 5500. I have heard that the HSF are not attached very well.(just glue and sometimes not on straight.) I was wondering, should I remove these HSF and glue them back on with some thermal paste this time? And if so, how should I go about removing them and reattaching them? Thanks in advance.

------------------
    WHASSSSUUUUP???

If you go about removing them, you might as well replace them. If you go for the V5 5500 cooling kit from www.2cooltek.com and some arctic silver epoxy, you should have no problems whatsoever with cooling.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. But first things first. How do I go about removing the HSF? Thanks again.

------------------
    WHASSSSUUUUP???

Apparently putting the card in a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer for about 30 minutes makes it so you can snap them right off.

I've never tried that but just read it on another BBS. My 5500 cost too much for me to be trying something like that.

I also read on the other BBS that to remove the old epoxy you should use a cotton ball and carburetor cleaner. I sure ain't trying that!

You go first and let us know how it works and then maybe I'll try it!

That's what I did with my Diamond Stealth III S540. Put it in a freezer bag for 30min-1hour, then use a butter knife to pop the heatsink right off. You can then use alcohol to clean the chip. If you plan to reuse your current heatsink, you should clean it with acetone.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Thanks for all the info. Oh, and sorry, but I think I will stay away from the carb cleaner. Maybe I'll try the freezer thing. Probably won't actually get around to it for a while but I will let you know how it goes.

Oh, and how about reattaching it? Is the best way to put a small spot of glue on each corner and some thermal past on the rest of it? I would think that would work fine but I would like your input. Again, thanks for all the help.

------------------
    WHASSSSUUUUP???

I killed my voodoo5 removing the heatsinks. The problem is, it requires ALOT of force, but its possible to do as long as you are careful. I was not. Don't do the freezer thing, it serves only to make the other components brittle and easier to snap off. Just use a flathead screwdriver to pry off the heatsink, with a credit card between the PCB and the screwdriver. Just do it all in one CONTROLLED motion. So the screwdriver doesn't go flying after you get it off. Its not as bad as it sounds as long as your careful. I tried this on my Geforce MX and it worked perfectly. Good luck.
    -ram

------------------
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

i was wondering if taking the heatsink off a motherboard is as difficult?
    Duron 700
    MSI KT7 Pro2A
    46g IBM 75GXP HDD
    Crucial pc-133 128mb
    Asus V7700 32mb GF2 GTS
    SoundBlaster Live! x-gamer 5.1

Thanks for the help guys.

trouble_shooter,

If you are referring to the heatsink on the processor, it is attached by a clip. Just unclip and remove. Hope that helps.

------------------
    WHASSSSUUUUP???

I think trouble_shooter means the chipset heatsink..
    I'm guessing it would work the same, at least as far as the HS was concerned, but I'd wait a while to see if someone else knows something about any motherboard components that aren't likely to take too kindly to being frozen..

While I'm here, anyone had any problems removing the HS from a G400?? I'm about to replace mine with a Blorb.. damn that thing is purrrrrtyy....

[edit]
    Besides, why are trying to remove the chipset HS?? It hardly does anything anyway.. mine runs more stable than most other people I know, & mine doesn't even have a HS. There's really nothing to be gained fromputting on a different one.
    Unless of course you're trying to get rid of the really annoying whine from the KT7..
    ------------------
    How can we see where we are going, if we don't open our eyes??

[This message has been edited by a13antichrist (edited 12-08-2000).]

On my old V3 3500, I took it out of my comp, and whilst still hot, I slipped a knife between the CPU and HS.

Came off nicely Then you just have to peel the stuff off the HS, my CPU was clean.

------------------
    Who is -=TylerDurden=- ?
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Thanks CS. That sounds like probably the safest way that I have heard. Will probably end up doing that.

------------------
    WHASSSSUUUUP???

Thread Information