Matrox G-450 how good is it?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Matrox G-450 how good is it?

Matrox G-450 how good is it?

G-450 .18 micron, DDR memory, 360 ramdac, 32MB, super picture quality, how does it compare to Geforce II DDR in games?

Sucks for gaming. Don't even consider it unless all you need is 2d.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

It doesn't even compete with a a GeForce2MX. I think that the 400 was actually faster but I can't remember for sure. Don't even think about it.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

I doubt the 400 was faster than an MX.

Anyway the 450 has niche features like excellent 2D quality/performance (for high res desktops).

CSUK

------------------
    The second rule of fight club is do not talk about fight club.

Originally posted by -=TYLERDURDEN=-:
    I doubt the 400 was faster than an MX.

Anyway the 450 has niche features like excellent 2D quality/performance (for high res desktops).

CSUK

I think what mx-6* was trying to say was that the G400 was even faster than the G450. I read that somewhere but can't remember where.

yes the g400max is faster then the g450, because of it's 200mhz (128-bit)SDram and 166mhz core, whereas the g450 has 166 core 166 (64-bit)DDRram.
    so the g400max has a leg up on it in that sense. but like everyone else is saying the G450 is not for gamers, if you must have a Matrox card then the fastest out there right now is the G400max.

------------------
    cel 566@900, Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1.13gig, GTSultra 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

oh I see

------------------

I have had a G-400 32 dual vanilla for over a year, its not too bad at all playin games, no problems at all playin UT, thanks alot for the info. With DDR .18 and 360 ramdac I thought the G-450 was a step up from G-400.

i've had my G400 32meg for a year too, i think it's a good card for the few games i play with it.
    if you fell the performace is a little show, get a new CPU and that'll increase framerate quite a bit usually. this is because G400s don't have there own triangle setup (other non-TnL cards have atleast 10mil tri/sec hardware) but the g400 has to rely on the CPU for that, so if you get a new CPU, it can crank out the frames faster

but i know the G400 want satisfy my gaming needs for long, but by then i hope the G800 will be out and be half decent too.

------------------
    cel 566@900, Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1.13gig, GTSultra 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

Does the G400/450 have better 2D performance than any other card on the market?

------------------

in terms of 2d speed? no, all of todays cards are about the same in 2d speed.
    the g400/450 have better image quality though (in both 2d and 3d) not sure how, but it just is.
    G400max and G450 also have a higher speed RAMDAC 360mhz which helps support higher res. and refresh rates.
    this is why Matrox is making dual-head stuff. since 2d is about as fast as it's going to get they are focusing on ways of multi-displaying it.

------------------

Thread Information