Multiple Montors
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Multiple Montors

Multiple Montors

I'm looking for multiple monitor support under Windows 2000. Possibly just 2 monitors, but 3 or 4 might be a possibility. I have looked at the Matrox G450. Can anyone comment on good graphics boards? One question is whether I should go for one board that's really costly ($600-$800US) or two dualhead displays... however, I have yet to find a PCI dualhead. Price is not *that* big of an issue.

Another issue is using LCD panels for these cards. What is the quality difference from DVI and analog? My dad's the CEO of a software company, and the extra desktop space will help him work more efficiently.

Thanks in advance,
    Victor

Please let me know what you come up with , I have fryed a good video card in this indeavor
    to add 2 monitors.
    Then I tryed a agp card and a pci card....
    Was not impressed.
    If you get it working, please let me know!
    They all fall the first time! "The Matrix" The Movie, or was it?

If anyone here has any knowledge on the topic, then feel free to post it here, and for those who don't know too much, there is a great forum at Maxtor's website for this kind of stuff.

Maxtor Forums

Victor

I am actually running with two monitors, one is a 19" CRT and the other is a 15" LCD. It really does work great but there are some things to watch out for. If you are going to go for a CRT/LCD combo you will have to take in to account the DVI/analog issue. Basically an DVI LCD is one that has a digital input in the form of a DVI plug, for an analog LCD the video card changes the output to an analog signal then which then goes to the LCD which changes it back into a digital signal to display. I have gotten the impression that the digital input (DVI) is better because the signal stays digital the through the whole transfer from the computer to the monitor, hence a clearer picture. Is this something you would notice in basic everyday use, I?m not sure, it depends on how demanding you are. An analog card has the advantage with being compatible with almost any video card on the market. Also if you already have the LCD and its not the newest model make sure that you know if it is a DFP connection or a DVI. DVI is the new standard that almost every digital LCD uses, DFP is older so there are going to be fewer options for video cards. (Let me know if this is this case, I?ll give you more details.) If you but a new digital LCD then almost without doubt it will be a DVI.

As for video cards, the Matrox ones should be pretty good, that is what I have the LCD hooked up to, specifically a Matrox G200 SD PCI. I would stay away from anything ATI if you plan to mix chipsets between the two video cards, I have personally had problems with this. Nvidia and Matrox seem to work pretty well, as my primary monitor is hooked up to a Creative Geforce2 AGP. Another good choice are Diamonds especially the Vipers as that is what are in the PCs in the computer labs at my school and seem to work really well. I don?t really know about the dual head cards as that was not an option with my particular monitor set up but it might be easier to implement that a two card layout.

I had to do a lot of research to get this my thing to work (it was a bloody pain in my case) so I know more than I posted here, just let me know if there is anything that I can elaborate on. Also, I hope this makes sense I wrote it when I was kinda tired.

------------------
    www.instinctdesign.com

[This message has been edited by instinctdesign (edited 11-16-2000).]
    www.instinctdesign.com newly updated!

Thread Information