Suggestions on 19" Monitors
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on 19" Monitors

Suggestions on 19" Monitors

Wasup all,

I'm in the market for a new 19" monitor. I've had my eye on the Viewsonic 19" A90 for some time. Although in reviewing the stats for the monitor I found out that it has a .27 vertical dot pitch. It's horizontal is .23 which originally got me going on this monitor. I've been told that the .27 on a 19" will look bad if compared to a .23 or a .25. What do you guys think? I'm not stuck on getting the Viewsonic, but I would like to keep the price at $350 and definately 19". I'm not a real big fan of the perfect flat monitors that are out. They get those little lines that run across the screen and not matter what, I can't see paying $100 or $150 more for a flat screen with little grey horizontal lines. Just my tastes though.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
    "Where is the ANY key?"

I got the Q95 which is actually made by ViewSonic. It has a 0.22 dot pitch and I really like it ! I got it about six months ago for 340 and I think it has come down since then. I highly recommend it. Deanril is the one who first mentioned it here.

I forgot to mention, the brand name of the Q95 is Optiquest. I just looked at a PCConnection catalog and they say it is a .23 dot pitch. They have it for 330.

Ever considered a Samsung? The reviews have tons of good things to say about it.

Wasup,

I'm not against other brands, I just wanted to hear thoughts about the dot pitch. What do I stay away from, what should I get. That sort of thing. I'll check out the Samsung. Isn't that what Best Buy sells?

Thanks!
    "Where is the ANY key?"

You should look into the ViewSonic PF790 which uses the Trinitron tube. They are really nice and those vertical lines are hardly visible.

If you really can't take the lines then check all ViewSonic monitors that have the numbers 790 in them.
    www.viewsonic.com
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Go for a Samsung. They are one of the best in the market and the price is also quite OK. Excellent performance as well as waranty.
    Intel Celeron 600@600
    XO i810 Motherboard
    On Board VGA and Audio
    196 MB PC100 RAM
    Motorola 56 Kbps PCI Modem
    Samsung 40GB ATA66 IDE
    IO/Magic 24x CDROM
    Samsung SyncMaster 17" Flat Monitor

Hitachi makes the best 19" monitor, period.
    If money is a concern, go for Samsung.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

I like Toolbox's suggestion. I have that monitor at work and it is nice.
    Inwin Q500 FT
    IWILL KK266
    640 mb PC-100
    Duron 1 Ghz
    Gforce 4 MX 420
    Mini Super Orb
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    Philips 24/12/40
    Philips 107S 17" Monitor
    Logitech Z-340s
    Win XP Pro

The ViewSonic is really great... you won't regret it.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Samsung = key
    IIyama = heaven

------------------
    Who is -=TylerDurden=- ?
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

People seem to be forgetting about Mitsubishi. They have some of the best monitors around at the moment and are reasonably priced. The DiamondPro ones especially are red hot baby, yeah!

I'd suggest the Hitachi 19" CM715U-511, the Samsung 19" SM 955DF .20MM, or 19" Synchmaster 955SL .22MM. These seem to be high performing monitors in the price range that you mention. Viewsonics are good monitors but for that price you would have to get an A or E series which (IMHO) are not as nice as their G or P series. Same thing for Mitsubishi, for $350 I don't think you'll find a 19' Diamond Pro (900u). The cheaper Diamond Scans have .28MM and Diamond plus .25mm. I have no opinion on Optiquest, it's made by Viewsonic but has a different CRT I think.

I would stay clear of KDS. Sony's are nice but ridiculously expensive. Iilyama's have the best looking design but again, expensive and, at least for me, hard to find. I'd just buy a Mits for that kind of money anyway. I think Proviews are cheap, lower end Princeton's are junk. No opinion on Phillips. Nokias may be good but seem expensive, same with NEC. MAG got top honors from PC Magazine about a year ago. They are out of their minds.

Let's see, what did I miss? Anyway, I would definitely recommend that you physically look at the monitors (you can buy online later). You'll find that dot pitch isn't everything.

Here is a link PC Worlds chart for 19" monitors.
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...aid=17159&pg=2

I use the Samsung 900NF but you stated that you don't like the grey lines going across the screen.
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

What is wrong with KDS? They have a good warranty (3 year or lifetime ... check their page) and use Sony Trinitron tubes.

I say get the KDS 195TF. About $400 plus shipping. 1600x1200@85hz. I know 3 people with this exact monitor (and another 3 or 4 people with various KDS monitors). It's VERY nice. Almost completely flat, very sharp, and very high refresh rates. Of course as with any Trinitron it has two faint damper wires. Not bad for what is essentially a ~$600 Sony monitor.

------------------
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, Creative TNT2U@175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Thread Information