tnt2 ultra overclocking woes : (
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: tnt2 ultra overclocking woes : (

tnt2 ultra overclocking woes : (

i have a hercules TNT2 ultra with memory heatsinks and a celeron 433 HSF on it and it doesn't seem 2 like overclocking 2 much. How high have u people got your ultras with what type of cooling?

------------------
    Thank you for booting windows for the first time "Error, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown"
    Thank you for booting windows for the first time "Error, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown"

175/230 is what I usually play at. I have 5ns ESMT SDRAM memory. Obviously it doesn't mind overclocking much. I also have a 486 socket fan on my core but no special memory cooling.

I have had it up to 180/240, but it only lasts 5-10 minutes before I get visual artifacts or crashes. 175/230 is very stable. I did some benchmarking a while back and came to the conclusion that the point of diminishing returns is 170/220 or so. Past that I saw almost no change. I will have to try again with my new system and drivers.

I think I remember most people (back when the Ultra just came out and discussions were more popular) getting 170-175 out of their core. People with 5ns memory easily get over 200mhz memory. I think the Hercules has 5ns RAM, but I could be wrong.

BTW, with my setup I get Q3 High Quality Demo001 at 59 fps. Quaver gives me 46fps, and still 42fps with 4/4 texture quality. I'm running Creative Fastrac 6.34. Older 3.xx drivers would kill Quaver due to AGP texture swapping. It seems Det3 minimizes the hit. I like to play with the texture quality maxed out.

------------------
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, Creative TNT2U@175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Thread Information