Radeon SUCKS!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon SUCKS!!!

Hybrid View

Radeon SUCKS!!!

Went to Frys hardware....They have a deal on the 32 MB DDR Radeon, $190 less $50.00 MIR.

Came home, deleted every trace of my lovely GeForce drivers - rebooted, ATI drivers won't install.

I have (had) DX8 beta, so figure that's problem....use uninstaller, reboot (you know I would, try again. uhuh.

Installed DX7...OK, now we're geting somewhere. Driver loads, boot - locks up solid.

Back to safe mode, fiddle with driver settings, reboot. Crap, locks up.

Take out ATI drivers, load GeForce - I'm back in heaven.

Never again ATI.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I should have known better. I went to ATI's web site before loading, looking for latest & greatest Radeon drivers. Nooooooo, there on the CD...you know what that means - they're already obsolete.

One mans Radeon experience.

------------------
    Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

It seems ATI has figured out how to make good hardware, now they need to contract a company to make some drivers for them.

ATI has never had a clue.

Well, after dinking around I come up with a solution....

Decreasing AGP from 4X to 2X and decreasing the performance graphic accelorator has given me a much disappointing look at the Radeon.

This one's going back for sure.

------------------
    Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

AGP 4x doesn't DO anything over AGP 2x... at least nothing noticeable. I thought that was common knowledge?
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

True, but it's not just the AGP factor...having to manually decrease the graphics performance, picky drivers & crappy overall performance.

More than just the AGP selection...

------------------
    Scott

Radeon doesnt suck.
    i have one it rules but it does have problems with certain chipsets and if it doesnt work then dont mess with it and keep geforce i dont really see why people with geforce go to radeon anyway they're almost the same speed anyway i mean i went from voodoo3 to radeon and i noticed big difference in fps but i woulda done the same with the geforce
    and if you want the newest radeon drivers never look at ati's site they never update go to rage3d or go to Vr-Zone's hardware forum in the patches and drivers section and watch for driver updates. I know i have seen at least i think 3 driver updates for the radeon and one has a fix for the chipset problem
    just wish ati would stop being dumbasses and post driver updates on their freakin site
    Ever seen scent of a woman
    Ever seen scent of a woman while overclockin
    How is it possible
    I wish there was some way
    I feel so invincible
    I'm the sculpture made of clay
    From Clayman by In Flames

I have a Radeon 64MB VIVO. No probs at all and has better looking video than my GeForce2.

------------------
    AMD Athlon 700@950, 1.85v on an Abit KA7-100
    Antec full tower case w/ 300W P/S
    ATi 64MB Radeon w/VIVO & an ATi All-in-wonder Pro 8MB
    Sound Blaster Live! Platinum w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.04 THX Speakers
    Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM & a Ricoh 8X/4X/32X CD-RW
    IBM 34.2GB 7200RPM hard drive
    256MB Crucial PC-133 RAM
    Lots of air cooling

Hail Styrofoam!

I fully support A Nudist's Dream
    Athy 700@950, 1.85v, KA7-100
    Home-built Plexiglas case w/300w p/s
    ATi 64MB Radeon VIVO & All-in-wonder Pro 8MB
    Sound Blaster Live! Platinum w/ Klipsch Promedias
    Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM and Ricoh 8X/4X/32X CD-RW
    IBM 34.2GB 7200RPM hard drive
    256MB Crucial PC-133

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Take the card back and stop *****ing. You've already made up your mind... or are you having second thoughts after seeing the beautiful graphics??

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Second thoughts!!

It sucked, no *****in' just fact.

If You're satisfied with the card, then good for you, but the combo of a crap card & crap support...I should have known better, but what ta' hell, was worth a try.

------------------
    Scott

Try this, Audscott..

Download the newest version of DirectX you can (even if you have the newest version). Download the newest Radeon drivers. Download the AGP VxD driver for your motherboard.

Remove the Radeon driver (along with any other video drivers you may have on your system). Restart the computer and go into your BIOS and make sure that "AGP 4X" is disabled. Go into Safe Mode. Double click on the AGP VxD driver extraction program and select "Uninstall AGP VxD Driver" or whatever it says (should say "Install in Turbo Mode, Install in Standard Mode, and Uninstall VxD Driver). After this, reset and go back into regular mode.

Make sure that Windows doesn't load the Radeon drivers automatically (in other words, be in Windows without any display drivers). Try to install DirectX (it might say that you already have the newest version after it extracted files, but that's okay; the extracted files aren't cleaned up off of the system and that's one of the things that's causing these problems). Even if it says that you didn't have to install it, it might ask you to reset anyway. DON'T RESET. Now load the Radeon drivers.

After the Radeon drivers are loaded and you're back in Windows, try to install DirectX one more time exactly like before. It'll probably tell you to restart again, so go ahead and do that.

That's exactly what I did and I'm having no problems whatsoever anymore (before, all of my games would freeze and Windows would also freeze after running for about an hour).

Thanks PlunX,

Very clear & concise instructions.

Once again, sorry to all who were offended.

------------------
    Scott

So it's working now then?!? What's the performance and picture quality like compared to the Geforce if it is?
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

Scott, try this site out for there drivers. http://www.rage3d.com/. These are newer than the ones on the install disc.

------------------
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!

I thinking what's the point....I bought the card for another system I building for a friend, but they know squat about computers.

I don't want them callin gme in two weeks cause the computer (card) is acting up.

Figure I'll go GeForce 2 MX because I have had nothing but good experiences with Geforce DDR & GTS.

I'm sorry to rag on you folks, but after hearing so much positive abouth the card I thought it would be a nice enhancement...but at what cost. I'm not going to ruin my system just to get a look & sure don't want my friends to have problems after they get the machine so I have to go running to fix it.

------------------
    Scott

GeForce SUCKS, every f*****g version, 1, GTS, MX.

That is my expirience with GeForce and nVIDIA, I really do hate them.

Sorry if I offended enyone, just the facts from my point of view. ... really no joke.

I don`t have ATI RADEON

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works corectly.

Thread Information