Is this normal behavior for a new monitor?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is this normal behavior for a new monitor?

Is this normal behavior for a new monitor?

Just a couple of days ago I purchased a KDS AV-7TF 17" Trinitron monitor. I really like it except I've noticed one small thing. It seems that when I adjust the image size using the monitor controls sometimes it doesn't want to stay. I'll adjust it and then turn off the monitor or let it go on standby, and then when I turn it back on and Windows starts up the image size is slightly different than when I left it (usually 1 or 2 notches bigger or smaller). I'll adjust it again and the same thing will happen when I turn the monitor off and on again. I know this isn't a big deal, but I'm anal about my computer, and I don't like things happening for no reason. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this normal for a new Trinitron monitor?

Thanks,
    James

I have the same "problem" with my Iiyam 17".

Actually, the screen resizes after several minutes because I suppose the tube is not hot enough (??).

Did you try to save your configuration?

------------------
    Games, games and only games
    Games, games and only games

i agree with 1040stf
    you might need to set the config as one of your user modes

this is normal.....it happens with all monitors....as 1040stf said monitor will restore the screen size after 5-10 mins automatically when it is turned on

also, try restarting after setting new screen size and tell us what happens
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

The monitor doesn't go back to the factory defaults; it just seems to "adjust itself" (only a tiny amount like I mentioned earlier). I don't save the configuration because the monitor saves any adjustments automatically. I looked at the numbers the last time it happened and they were the same as when I left them, so I know the monitor is keeping my configuration. Also, it only happens when I leave the monitor off for a while (like 30 minutes or more). If I just restart my system or if I turn the monitor off and then turn it back on quickly it doens't happen.

[This message has been edited by J Koenig (edited 10-12-2000).]

The picture on my monitor grows a little bit for the first few minutes after I turn it on. The size of the picture seems to depend not only on the adjustments I have made but also on the temperature of the tube, and it takes a few minutes for the tube to warm up.

All monitors have to warm up... don't worry about it! I'm extremely anal too and that used to get to me. If you leave it alone you'll soon figure out that they all work that way.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thread Information