How about those DDR GeForce2 MX!?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How about those DDR GeForce2 MX!?

How about those DDR GeForce2 MX!?

Hi there!
    I found a dealer that have got some new GeForce2 MX with DDR memory. I read that the SDR version (the common MX) has a 128 bit pipe, and the DDR would have 64 bit so they shouldnt compete with the GF2GTS. My guess is that the ones with DDR should be easy to o/c, but if they got a 64 bit bus then they should be very slow anyway? Can anyone give me some info/input on this issue. I dont know if its good or bad to buy one of those MX DDR-cards???
    Thank you

Haven't anyone heard anything about them???
    Hmmm....
    I guess i gotta go somewhere else to get my questions answered!?
    Well, Thank you anyway...

I did not even know they existed. I would be real carefull about what you buy, it could be a gimmick. I would think that uf they released a DDR Geforce MX more people would know about it.

Its a creative, ive seen som ecoments around the internet about them. But it has been in german and so on so i cant understand them.
    It will be released the 25 oktober here in sweden. Its called "3D Blaster GeForce2 MX 32MB DDR"...
    So noone has heard about them yet.
    Well, thank you for the input.

Well,
    just my thoughts, but if I had the choice between DDR 64 Bit and SDR 128 bit, I'd get the SDR. DDR provides an effective increase of 90% compared to an SDR solution, but doesn't actually increase the data rate by 100%. The 128-bit solution will actually double the bandwidth, so should have a slight edge in performance.
    I haven't heard anything about a DDR GeForce 2 MX, to be honest it wouldn't make much sense surely? Unless they wanted to decrease the pin count, but then again, high speed DDR memory is pretty expensive right now (and hard to acquire), so I can't see a 64-bit DDR solution being cost effective really.
    Just my thoughts.
    Fallguy

AFAIK, the MX chip works just as well with 128 or 64 bit, on either SDR or DDR. So it might be worth taking a look at the specs.

If it's 128 bit DDR, then it should be in the same region as the GF256 DDR, as far as performance goes. I.e., not bad.

If it's 64 bit DDR, however, it will probably perform much the same as an 128 bit SDR board. Maybe slightly worse.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Thread Information