Speeding up Direct3D on a V3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Speeding up Direct3D on a V3

Speeding up Direct3D on a V3

Hey,
    I was wondering if you guys knew of a way to speed up D3D on the V3's. I've been playing a lot of Midtown Madness and because Microsoft uses D3D (only) for that game, and the V3's aren't optimized for it...

Like maybe copying the minigl driver and renaming it as the direct3d driver? (Don't think it would work)

If you know a way, hook me up

Thanks
    Please support the diminishing Doom2 revolution by participating in the Internet Deathmatch community. csDoom:
    http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html
    -Need to Play: Doom2.wad v1.9 + csDoom

I don't think renaming miniGL as D3D will work and it could cause problems too as they are two different APIs. You can try disabling vsync though with the use of a V3 utility. I use Voodoo3 Overclocker by Gary Peterson and this has helped boost my D3D speed. You can get it here http://www.tweakfiles.com/video/voodoo3overclocker.html

Turn off pedestrians and limit the visibility to about 1/2. Turn texture detail to High or lower (avoid High [AGP]).

There probably isn't anything major to do other that make sure you have the latest version of you Voodoo drivers, DirectX (7.0a or 7.1), and tweak the game itself.

Midtown can run pretty slow even on a fast system. I think a lot of it has to do with the engine. It's not very efficient at limiting view (other than manually turning down visibility). Even my system will lag bad if I have the visibility set very high and try to look at the entire city at once.

------------------
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320meg, Prophet Geforce DDR-DVI
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

You'll have to just use lower resolutions because no tweak is going to suddenly make you go from say 15fps to 30fps.

Unless yu go from a celeron550Mhz to a P3 1Gig!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Well,
    I guess I'm stuck...
    I was looking for a driver advantage I guess... since day 1 I've used Vsync off w/ D3D and clocked my V3 2K @ 170MHz.

It's too bad Microsoft wasn't so narrow and full of themselves with this game. I mean, at least take other rendering formats into consideration. If MM ran off the minigl driver, you'd get 10-15 more fps
    Please support the diminishing Doom2 revolution by participating in the Internet Deathmatch community. csDoom:
    http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html
    -Need to Play: Doom2.wad v1.9 + csDoom

Thread Information