HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED

HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED

I'm afraid that this message is the same as my previous topic but I get the feeling that as soon as the more seasoned members see a 3DMark score in the topic title they automatically assume that it's **** comparison time again....I just want to make sure I've got the right vc...if it does not perform as it should I shall be returning the card and getting a Radeon...
    I'm runnning a Prophet II Geforce2 GTS 64Mb and only getting around 2300 on default benchmark on Mad Onion's 3D BEnchmark.
    System:
    Athlon 800TB
    QDI K7 mobo
    128Mb

I've tried the latest drivers available from nvidia's website and get no improvement.

Other people have told me I should be scoring around 6000 at least. I want my money's worth!!!!!!!:O

It may be worth mentioning that I have the free version of 3DMARK and a couple of the tests are not performed...does this affect my score?

Yes, your score should be around 6000 to 7000. Make sure your running in AGP 2X and that the AGP Aperture is set to 64 MB.

Then, there's always the GeForce FAQ:

http://www.tweak3d.net/faq/

Oh, one more thing. There's no problem with the free version.

[This message has been edited by Dave_B (edited 10-03-2000).]
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

Brother, that's low. I can bet you that you have anti-aliasing enabled in the driver settings. Be sure and go into the driver settings and turn the anti-aliasing off. Did you have any previous video cards installed on your system? If so, there may be some extra files floating around in your system causing slowdowns, you may want to reformat your system and load everything fresh up. You may also want to try this program from www.tweakfiles.com it's a program called "regcleaner" in the registry folder of the site, you should probably clean your registry. Change your virtual memory to 256 mgs too. Just keep plugging away at trouble shooting, you'll get it! Hopefully it's not a faulty card/mobo/processor, that's usually not the case though. That FAQ that Dave_B posted is of great value to a Geforce owner. Oh yeah, be sure you have the latest version of Directx installed, and that you have Graphics acceleration set to maximum in the windows control panel>system>performance>graphics section.

------------------
    ..."As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another"...
    Proverbs 27:17

[This message has been edited by Ceint (edited 10-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ceint (edited 10-03-2000).]

Thanks for the help. It turned out to be a very basic error on my part...sort of. I decided to let the system get built for me and the company installed everything I needed (supposedly). For some unklnown reason they hadn't installed the added features of my mobo!! All it took was an install which activated the AGP (if that's the right terminology) and my sacore is now around the 6300 mark...hurrah and hazzah.

Out of interest Dave_B how do I determine the AGP aperture?

And Ceint: what difference does the virtual memory size make?

Yours,

Beginner.

[This message has been edited by Devo (edited 10-04-2000).]

That's great Devo, it's always a cool thing to troubleshoot your PC and get satisfaction out of finding the main problem--The more problems you have the more you learn. Sometimes when you let someone build a system, they forget to load everything, or they may be dense and just not know to install the mobo software. If you set your virtual Memory to double the size of your ram, you will get less disk-thrashing when playing games, set both Min and Max to at LEAST 250. AGP aperture size should be set to half the total size of your ram, however, I have set my aperture size to 256 megs, and I have 192 megs of ram.

------------------

Thread Information