Better Video Card Help Web Surfing? Your Input Wanted!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Better Video Card Help Web Surfing? Your Input Wanted!

Better Video Card Help Web Surfing? Your Input Wanted!

I have a ATI Rage IIC 2meg video card, and wonder if a better video card would help me pull up graphics faster and increase my web surfing speed (Am not a gamer). Am considering Voodoo3 1000 or 2000, but would welcome any suggestions. My basic system is K6-3-333@350/128MB PC-100/7200 RPM HD. Any ideas? Thanks for any input!

P.S. Using FIC VA503+ 1.2A E0037 bios motherboard. Thanks Again.

Well a graphics card might improve your resolution capabilitys, but I don't think your web surfing speed will change much, as it is mostly related to your modem (or whatever) linkup speed

------------------
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows 98
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

I have nearly the same card as you (ATI 3D Charger 2mb w/ Rage II+ chip), I've tried friend's systems with better cards, the browsing speeds seems the same, so the videocard seems not to be the problem...

But here's a trick that may help to browse faster, it helped alot with my card: don't use 24-bit color depth: scrolling in IE seems to refresh very slowly. Use 16 or 32-bit color instead.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thanks, Have been and am using 16 bit High Color. Also have USR/3Com 56K Sportster, normally connecting 49.3-50.6.

Also, my resolution is set at 800x600.

the only thing your video card can help with is let it redraw faster as you scroll. the loading time is the same on my GTS as my 4 meg S3 virge. your "bottleneck" is your internet connection.
    Impossible? Watch me.

Exactly!! Your internet connection would have to be millions of bps for your video card to be slowing you down. Even a T1 or T3 line can't keep up with your old tired video card.

Of course some boneheaded salesperson at compusa or bestbuy would be fast to tell you otherwise. Most computer sales people have absolutely no clue and rely on us being on their level in order to get buy with the BS that they spew.

I laugh everytime I hear one of them explaining to some non-knowing customer that the reason their computer seems so slow while surfing the net is because they don't have a P3 with a 32meg video card and 56x cdrom!!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

I'm stuck with regular dialup for now. So, given that I don't game or engage in fancy graphics, should this ATI Rage IIC 2 meg be enough for me? I did read that some video cards are more CPU dependant, and went to hardware modem partially for this reason. Is there another low end video card better than above ATI? Thanks

hey now dont be talking trash about people at bestbuy. i can go try different hardware parts if i want and it only takes me about 15 sec to lose the comp tech guy when i explain him whats wrong with the item. i kinda like that. we all know they dont know s..t right?
    Estimated time it will take me to fix your computer:
    If you leave - 15 min
    If you watch - 1hour
    If you help - 3hours

any old 2d card will handle the web just fine.
    Impossible? Watch me.

Many Thanks Guys!!

Thread Information