3D Prophet GeForce2 MX questions..
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 3D Prophet GeForce2 MX questions..

3D Prophet GeForce2 MX questions..

I'm going to be buying a GeForce2 MX pretty soon and I've decided to buy the Guillemot (is that spelled right?) brand since it seems a bit above average. One thing, though.. The card with 7ns memory is $108 and the one with 5.5ns (or something like that) is $149.. Is the 5.5ns memory really work the extra money? Or will I hardly tell a difference on my K6-3 400MHz?

I'd go for the 5.5 ns (the more expensive)version. Apparently the Retail boards come with 5.5ns memory which means you can overlock the memory to about 200 Mhz (this is pretty close to the GF2 GTS!)

The OEM versions come with 7ns memory which means you can't really overlock that much.

If you're concerned about price, go for the OEM. If you want performance (and you're prepared to overlock - it already comes supplied with utilities on the CD-ROM)then get the retail version and the 5.5ns memory.

Check out the review at www.viahardware.com

[This message has been edited by davidstone21 (edited 09-30-2000).]

The 5.5ns v 7ns will make a difference even on the K6-400 you've got, but not a huge amount - probably about 10-20%. Your processor is probably going to be the limiting factor not the graphics card.

[This message has been edited by davidstone21 (edited 09-30-2000).]

Thread Information