monitor hissing sound if resolution is not 1024X768
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: monitor hissing sound if resolution is not 1024X768

monitor hissing sound if resolution is not 1024X768

3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP on a 6 month old Viewsonic A70. Latest drivers for both.

A game I play (Carmageddon2) requires me to set the resolution to 640X480 so I could move the cursor within the game to all sides. If the resolution is set higher, I can't move it to the lower right portion of the screen. (BTW, this is a known issue with some video cards and Carma2). So fine, I set it to a lower resolution.

But why is this hissing noise (coming out the top of my monitor) there at any resolution (640X480, 800X600, & 960X720) lower than 1024X768 ? It sounds so bad that I'm afraid it will damage my monitor. Will it ?

I deleted this post due to safety reasons. Try the following suggestion:

Rock Dog.

[This message has been edited by Rock Dog (edited 09-13-2000).]
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

Another thought that has come to mind, The VooDoo series cards like to run at extremely high refresh rates. TRY THIS FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING THE ABOVE!

Set your windows resolution to 640x480. Then go into the advanced controles of the display settings area and force your refresh rate to 60 Hz. If the sound goes away, then that is your problem. Raise the refresh to 70Hz (or there about) if not and even if it did go away. Once it goes away (if it goes away) keep raising it untill you get to 75-85Hz or untill the sound returns.

If this works, do this for every setting below 1024x768 in all color modes. (including 256, 16bit, 32bit, etc. color but not including 16 color)

Now when a game sets the resolution to a specific setting, it should use the refresh you have set and not the "optimal" which for 3dFX is the highest your video card and monitor will allow.
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

I read in the monitor manual that setting refresh rates that are not recommended for monitors may damage it. They specified what refresh rates should go with what resolution for the A70 and the choice isn't there for me on the Voodoo card.

But I fixed the Carmageddon problem by choose Direct3d instead of 3dfx Glide. I can move my cursor all around the screen now (which explains why that TNT card can do it with no problems).

Anyway... right now, I run the game at 1024X768 with a little sharp noise comming from the monitor (sharper than out of game), but at least there's no hissing sound.

Thread Information