GeForce2 and MVP3 incompatibility?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: GeForce2 and MVP3 incompatibility?

GeForce2 and MVP3 incompatibility?

I'm posting one behalf of a neighbour (who'll turn up in this forum one day I swear!!). He has recently purchased a Creative Labs GF2 board (32MB) that he installed in a Tekram P5MVP-B4 based system running Win98 SE. The problem he's had is that the system crashes out of games (e.g. Hidden & Dangerous) back to the desktop. The board is not overclocked and the PC has the latest graphics drivers, patches, BIOS flash etc. Games ran fine with his previous graphics card.
    What 'does my nut' is that a local computer servicing company came to the conclusion that this was due to a total incompatibilty between the MVP3 chipset and the GF2. WTF?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure there must be guys around with similar setups. Anybody come across this kind of problem??? In the meantime, I'll try and get more info regarding the problem.

Cheers,

MuFu.

P.S. If you're reading this NW, sorry for being an impatient, patronising ejit.

Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

If Hidden & Dangerous/Devils Bridge are the only games crashing I wouldn't be to concerned! That game and it's add-on are very buggy to say the least. Talonsoft is already working on Hidden & Dangerous 2 which shouldn't have any bugs like the first one. Code Name Eagle is the most stable game I've used from Talonsoft.

Make sure his GF2 is running in 1X AGP mode with sideband addressing disabled. That should make it pretty darn stable. I also like the 5.22/5.33 Nvidia Reference Drivers.

Sincerely,

Best4x4

I've "resurrected" this post because I'm now clear of the exact problem he is having:

H&D is fine (sorry)...but when loading Need For Speed (Porshe thingy) the game crashes back to the desktop. You see the little bar progressing as the game loads, and then suddenly, bam!!! Back to the desktop.

Active Technology (a local company) said this was due to a voltage problem caused by the MVP3-based board/GF2 combination.

Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Some of you guys must be running GF2s on SS7/MVP3 boards.

Anybody?

MuFu.

BTW, I know his K6-2 450 is gonna hold the graphics card back (many of you die-hard GF2 fans may see this as an injustice!)...but it's only a temporary solution before he upgrades to a Socket A mobo/CPU.

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 09-10-2000).]
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

I'd check the Tekrim site to be sure. If there are compatability issues, it should be in the FAQ for the motherboard.

Did you try the detonator 3 drivers? www.nvidia.com Also, there's a new VIA 4 in 1 driver patch available. http://viahardware.com/download/4in1425a.zip

------------------
    Unofficial Blizzard and Hardware Tech Support.
    www.opentechsupport.net/forums
    2001 Ionic Computer Services.

Visit us for Gaming and Hardware Tech Support.
    www.opentechsupport.net

The first thing I did was try Tekram...no luck. The problem is that it's not my board (wish it was!) so I can't really be too "experimental". I heard that the Detonator 3 drivers are actually more unstable than the 2's. Might suggest an update anyway...I think he's still running the Creative Drivers.

Thanks,

MuFu.

Thread Information