32Mb TNT2 M64 setup issues
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 32Mb TNT2 M64 setup issues

32Mb TNT2 M64 setup issues

I very recently purchased this card (as mentioned in the subject) and it essentially crashes when I try to load any hardware accelerated software (ie games)... I've dabbled with drivers.. I've dillied with directx.. I'm using a P3 500 with 128 SDRAM.. so I can't think of ne compatability issues.. got ne ideas peeps..

Use manufacture drivers.....update your BIOS(if possible) and AGP drivers (since i'd assume you already have DX7a installed)

More info on error messages when it crashes if you will

Windows version? Make of card?
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

I don't receive any error messages, just a blank screen.. I'm using windows 98 (second edition).. the make of the card is a bit iffi.. it a "Magic" but its not a skywell magic or an I/O Magic.. its just a "magic".. the thing doesn't even have a barcode and ISB number on it.. all the same I think (hope) that the hardware will potentially work and that this is just one of those twilight zone thingies thats happening to the rest of TNT owners

Also.. I'm having trouble entering the bios (meaning I don't know what kind of chipset I have) because I have this stupid Hewlett Packard Pavillion (parents cpu)that covers the memory count up (and message telling u how to enter the bios) with this stupid self affirming user "friendly" Hewlett Packard "expanding horizons" ****e.. I've tried pressing del and f10.. neither work.. This is the only way that I've known how to enter the bios before.. is there ne other way?

i would say it is your motherboard, a while ago i bought a m64 tnt2 that didn't work with my M/B cause the AGP slot didn't supply a good enough voltage (2.8 i think). What M/B r u using?

------------------
    Thank you for booting windows for the first time "Error, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown"
    Thank you for booting windows for the first time "Error, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown"

Can't seem to get into the bios so I don't know what kind of m/b I have.. It's a HP Pavilion 8518.. the m/b isn't entailed in ne of the spec sheets (online or in my manual).. so.. ... ... I have no fken idea

F1 works on the Gateway im working on. Maybe it will on HP?

------------------
    My HomePageAll the Things I really care about!
    KilrB's PC
    Abit NF7-S Rev2
    XP2100+ @ 200x11.5 2300Mhz
    512MB Corsair XMS Platnium PC3200 Ultra Low Latency CAS222
    Tyan Tachyon G9700 Pro w/Zalman ZM80a-HP Heatpipe
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

"Fat, Drunk and Stupied is now way to go threw life Son!" Quote: Dean Wormer.... Animal House

The mother board is the intel 440 BX/100 chipset and its a slot 370.. my bios is this really uninformative "pheonix" thingie with a lack luster range of options.. erm.. I'm just about at the end of my tether..
    This is where I am now:

-Intel 440 BX/100 m/b
    -32Mb "Magic" Riva TNT2 M64 v/card (AGP)
    -I have the manufacturers drivers installed
    -My computer freezes without giving me any error messages when I enter any openGL software
    -I have a p3 500, 128Mb RAM...

Where do I go from here?

Just a note that your M64 is a D3D card

So I'd not be suprised that it crashes on OpenGL ONLY game

What about D3D....

What does DXDIAG tell you?
    Try a D3D/OpenGL benchmarking program from somewhere....to see if its the games or hardware
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

I had kinda the same problem with my K6-2 Mobo and my Elsa Erazor III (TNT2 Ultra M64 chipset). Turns out that my Mobo did not support 4X AGP, and I only had it running at 1X AGP. I had many, many lockups. My first remedy for this problem was to underclock the video card to its lowest settings. My second remedy was an AMD Duron 650 and an ASUS A7V now that little card works wonderful (still wish I had a V5 5500 though). Try to underclock your vid. card as much as you can - this should help.
    cody_prather@hotmail.com

ASUS A7V Ver. 2.1
    AMD Duron 700MHz @ 700MHz
    WD 13.6GB UDMA 66 5400RPM
    Voodoo 5 5500
    Acer CDRW 6x4x32
    128MB PC133 CAS2 SDRAM (Mushkin)
    Cheap Ensoniq sound
    NEXT Blue ATX case

What OS are you running -Win 95 or 98? If 95 make sure you have the USBSUPP.EXE update installed and USB is enabled in the BIOS otherwise The AGP won't work properly.

AGP support is in Win95 is only available in OSR2.1 and 2.5 so make sure you have at least OSR2 already

Thread Information