Voodoo, nVidia , have things gone full circle ??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Voodoo, nVidia , have things gone full circle ??

Voodoo, nVidia , have things gone full circle ??

System:

Athlon 700@825
    Abit KA7
    Hercules Prophet II GTS 32mb DDR
    128 mb SDRAM PC100
    Soundblaster Live!

Is it just me or have Voodoo based cards swapped places with nVidia based cards ???? I know it's always been very close but when the Voodoo(3Dfx) chipset was first introduced everybody was amazed at it's speed but pciture quality of TNT cards was always better..naturally the speed of the cards increased, Voodoo2 and TNT2 and Ultra's were released but Voodoo(3Dfx) was just still ahead with balls out speed...now we have the balls out speed of the GeForce 2 GTS based cards (and soon the Ultra) but the picture quality of the Voodoo 5 based cards with their FSAA.....I would be interested to hear any views on this subject and any veiws on where it will all end !!!

Your eternal Ally

WalterMidi(Artist Formerly Known As Egg Bap)

------------------
    This is my computer...there are many like it...but this one is mine...'Full Metal PC'

[This message has been edited by WalterMidi (edited 08-26-2000).]
    This is my computer...there are many like it...but this one is mine...'Full Metal PC'
    (How many Microsoft Engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? None, Bill Gates just re-difines darkness as standard !!)

Seems to be just about true doesn't it WalterMidi?

Gees, the Voodoo2 held the speed crown for a long time, but that was 3dfx's last crown. The TNT couldn't quite compete with it when it was released, but when the V3s and TNT2Us came out, nVidia took the crown from 3dfx with their TNT2U(but it was close). Since then, nobody but ATI with their Radeon has come as close, but that was only for about 2 weeks, until the "tweaked" GeForce2 GTS Ultra was released.

3dfx and every other company would be swearing and sweating if nVidia ever released a chipset/GPU with more than one processing unit. Can you imagine twin/quad GeForce 2 GTS Ultra's? *drool*

------------------
    The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything at all.

Visit the "Computers" section of my humble website:
    www.techcomm.net/~mosherup/index.html
    The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything at all.

Visit the "Computers" section of my humble website:Maximum Mollerup

System:

Athlon 700@825
    Abit KA7
    Hercules Prophet II GTS 32mb DDR
    128mb SDRAM PC100
    Soundblaster LIve!

Your right Mosherup....anybody else got any views on this subject..

------------------
    (How many Microsoft Engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? None, Bill Gates just re-difines darkness as standard !!)

NO! Not again!!!!!!!!!

Both chips are absolutely amazing. having either a voodoo5 or a gf2 you cant go wrong. so dont start wars.

by the way, i LOVE that movie, full metal jacket. fantastic.
    "'How tall are you private snowball?' '5'10 sir!' 'Jesus H Christ, i didnt know they stacked sh*t that high!'"

------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes.
    I create disasters

[This message has been edited by Oliy (edited 08-27-2000).]

Thread Information