What card to get? Not the GeForce! Help me choose.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What card to get? Not the GeForce! Help me choose.

What card to get? Not the GeForce! Help me choose.

I've got a GeForce + Athlon and it's the most unstable box you could possibly imagine. I've tried everything and nothing helps (in fact, it just keeps getting worse).

So here's my quandry:
    What card to get? I wish I could keep my GeForce2, but it's ultimate power is worthless since my system keeps crashing. So what's the next best thing? Voodoo5, Radeon, S3... help me out guys!

Muchas gracias in advance.
    Learn how to sell on eBay at www.PowerSellerPros.com

If you want a 100% stable video card then I'd get the V5 5500. Yes it's slightly slower than a GF/GF2, but I think thats a small price to pay for a stable video card! The image quality is excellent and the FSAA at 2x is superb. Not to mention you'll have Glide support so that a few games like Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Deus Ex will run extremely well!

Sincerely,

Best4x4

P.S. Did you ever try running your GF2 card in 1X AGP mode with sideband addressing off?

Best
    I'm doing that all the time. Is there esomething wrong with it? Don't even think of making fun of me!!

------------------
    Well now, who are you then?
    Part of that Power which would
    The Evil ever do, and ever does the Good.

Like Best says, a Voodoo 5500 or a Radeon, but I'm running a Creative GF2 + Athlon at 4x AGP with no problems using Det6.11.

Before you purchase a new vid card, try to troubleshoot it one more time. IMO you've got nothing to lose.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

I talked to a geekhead at work here. He confidently told me that the GF2 + Athlon aren't getting enough voltage. It seems to make sense to me and would cause the problems I'm having (which is hard freezes 100% of the time, only thing that changes is how long it takes to happen).

What do you guys think?

Hey Stu, change the motherboard. I believe at least the AGP 1x issue was with the irongate chipset, maybe you could try a KX chipset. Swapping mobos would be cheaper than buying a new card. Might work. Drivers for everything updated? IRQs resolved? I'll presume from your experience that they are.

I'm making a lot of assumptions about your system though. After the GeForce, the Radeon would be my second choice though I would be wary of their driver support. In my experience Voodoos work with everything. S3? Are you serious?

try flashing the bios of the mother board, get all the latest agp drivers and stuff. What kinda board do you have? I know it can be fixed, i say fix it save some cash and have better performance

Stu, I'd like to assist, but I need to know your computer setup. Mine is ASUS K7V(KX133) + Win 95 OSR2.

I have the same problem earlier, and it could be anything, from incorrect BIOS settings to driver conflicts.

I'm using VIA AGP v3.56. The latest is not stable in my system.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Yeah StuTheWise if you have an older AMD Irongate board and you aren't going to switch over to a Slot A T-Bird then I'd definitely try out a VIA KX133 motherboard.

I'm using a Soyo K7VIA KX133 board right now with my 3D Prophet II GTS 32MB video card and I haven't had any trouble at all except for one game! NFS Porsche Unleased just doesn't get along with my system. With the 6.18 drivers I can't even select my car before it totally locks up the PC. With the 5.22/5.33 drivers I can play the game perfectly fine, but when it comes to watching a replay it will lockup up on me once again. Since it's the only game giving me trouble I'm not to worried about it because all of my other games run perfectly fine with AGP 4X with sideband addressing enabled!

I also used a V5 5500 with an MSI K7 Pro system and while it's 3Dmark 2000 scores were much lower than my GF2 card I will have to say that it was the most stable setup that I ever had! NFS Porsche Unleashed with 2X FSAA on was beautiful and that game was 100% stable with the V5 5500.

I personally think the GF2 is a great card and it's super fast, but the V5 is 100% stable with excellent drivers, Glide support, and FSAA that actually works at 2x and doesn't bring the system to it's knees! I'd use either one, but if you want the most compatible high end video card out there nothing right now is going to beat the V5 5500.

Sincerely,

Best4x4

Sorry guys. I was being lazy by not listing my systems specs. Here they are:

Athlon classic 600
    Asus K7V (KX133) BIOS 1007 (also tried 1006, 1005)
    Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 32mb
    128mb HSDRAM
    WinME (also tried 98SE, same results)

I've done everything I could possibly think of. I'll let you guys know how how the voltage tweaking works.

Hey Stu, do you have an I/O voltage selection in your BIOS? If so set it to 3.5v. This will give your GeForce enough voltage. Some Mobos have the I/O voltage set to 3.3v which is what it is supposed to be but the GeForces require more power and MoBo manufactures have been setting there BIOSes to 3.5v default now.

Oh, and also in your BIOS make sure your apreture size is HALF of your system memory (ie. 256MB of ram, 128MB apreture size).

[This message has been edited by LaoChe (edited 08-16-2000).]

Laoche give you right imput but there is one other thing and that is nVIDiA is crapy firm.

Don`t get me wrong, chips are asom but final product is not tested enough and stupid things like I/O voltage incompatibilites happens very often.
    http://www.insanehardware.com/articl...compatible.htm

Clik to the link and you while onderstand problem, and maybe buying new MB while be better solution, cous it cost less mony then new graphic card.

What kind of power supply are you running? At least a good 300W right?

Yes, I'm running a 300 watt. I upped the I/O voltage to 3.59 (as high as it goes). It helped, as UT actually played for a little while this time (as opposed to crashing right at start up). This happened with my agp aperture set to 100% of my RAM so I will change that and try one more time.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll keep on trying!

Thread Information