Upgrading V770U Chip fan?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading V770U Chip fan?

Upgrading V770U Chip fan?

Hello,I took out the stock fan on my Viper and installed a real fan and plugged it in a four pin connector,after doing so my PC would not boot up and the monitor was not working at all.So I removed the new fan and reinstalled the stock two pin fan and walla back to normal.

What can I do to upgrade the fan?Do I need to get a two pin connector to plug into the card or is there some way to bypass the problem.Any help would be nice.

------------------
    Miles

This too shall pass!
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Come on Baloney give me some help here.I just found out today how to enable my 4x feature on my V770U to work stable on my P3V4X,and it was the easiest fix I have ever done.Ill trade advice or heck give it away.

Oh yea does anyone know why I get refresh rates of 140 to 143fps when ever I run 3D Mark 99 Max with reference drivers 384.But with reference drivers 601 I get 59fps

------------------
    Miles

This too shall pass!
    Miles

This too shall pass!

I'd say let the stock fan dangle to the side, and go ahead and install your other better one.

------------------
    The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything at all.

Visit the "Computers" section of my humble website:Maximum Mollerup

Good thought but what if it gets loose and tries to eat something :
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Eat something...LOL! hehe...Ok, ok, I didn't think of that. Ok, I guess just tie it down. Better yet, tie it up so that it helps cool something else like an adjacent sound card or something. Maybe even suck air out of the case or cool the back side of the TNT2.
    I suppose it all depends on slack of the wires/plug.

------------------

Shucks some dang Guru could have a simple fix.I cant believe Baloneyflaps hasnt got a fix Anyway mabe someone will have a fix

------------------
    Miles

This too shall pass!
    Miles

This too shall pass!

My thinking is that the Viper has some kind of safety feature that won't let it work if the stock heatsink fan isn't working properly. That's probably why your computer won't boot- because the video card won't let it post. That's good for people that don't ever think of replacing the stock heatsink and fan so that if something does go wrong with it, they don't loose a very expensive video card. You know how hot that heatsink gets. On the other hand, I seriously doubt you will be able to plug in another fan into the video card. It won't be able to power a bigger fan. If it even works, I bet you'll burn something up. The fan is going to want more power than what the Viper can give it.
    Now, that leaves one other option that I can think of. You might could cut the stock fan from it's plug and short the pos and neg together so that the video card thinks it's still there. Then plug in you new fan to the 4-pin PS connector.
    DON'T DO THIS UNTIL YOU GET A SECOND OPINION!!!, because I'm not sure about it.
    Without something eating up the voltage comming in the positive side, again, it might burn something up.

I still think dangling the stock fan would be the fastest and safest way to do what you want to do.

Tell you what, I've been wanting OC my Viper770Ultra even further also. I have a GoldenOrb SS7 cooler sitting here waiting for me to attach it on to the TNT2U. I'm going to run into the same problem you are having. I'll go ahead and pop that stock heatsink off and then get back to you on what I did. I'm just worried about ruining the chip by prying it off. How did you go about prying it off?

------------------

Mosherup,Hi I havent removed the stock heatsink yet,all I did was took off the stock fan (which in it self was a pain) and was going to add a bigger fan,but no go.As far as the shorting of the two stock fan pins I was going to give it a try but wanted some real life experience before that trick.All I can say is beware.

Now for the stock heatsink I read someware that you could put the card in your freezer for about ten minutes and then take a butter knife and slide it between the chip and stock heatsink and apply some sideway pressure and it should pop off.

Let me know how it turns out but please get a second opion on shorting the fan pins.Good luck

[This message has been edited by Miless (edited 08-05-2000).]
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Ummm... I highly suggest NOT dead shorting those fan pins. At least use a resistor or something. A dead short will pull all the current from whatever is supplying that line which is probably your motherboard. Dead shorts = bad = POOF! = snap*crackle*pop.

A 20-100 ohm resistor would probably work. Run to RadioShack and pick up a package of 5 for $0.49.

To more closely "simulate" a fan being connected you could measure the resistance across the fan and use a resistor. Use a resistor with a slightly higher value, because the fan's resistance will increase once it is actually running. Or measure it while the fan is actually running. Remember, that fan header is probably 5 volts, not 12 like you may be thinking.

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220

[This message has been edited by Freon (edited 08-05-2000).]
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Thanks for the advice Freon.THat sounds logical.

Mosherup,also I may be confused as to the removal of the heatsink,Ill try and find the article seems it could be you take a hair dryer and heat it and take hold of it and twist it back and forth until it comes off.Sorry for the indesitions but I have been doing alot of tweaking and I cant remember everything but I will find out. out.
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Hehe...that's ok Miless. Oh, and thanks for the second opinion Freon. That's what I was thinking, I just didn't know the numbers like you do! You are the first besides me to even reply to Miless's pleas for help.

Miless, I was not going to do anything quite yet. I'm looking for the right pump for my watercooling system, and then I was going to hack into the TNT2U heatsink and that at the same time. I just made a huge Al waterblock to help cool my 1.04 GHz Athlon. Hopefully with 95 GPH or so flowing through the waterblock/heatsink, I can keep it cool enough to run over 1100 stably. It will post and go at 1100, but it gets hot and crashes...DOH!

1100mghz!Dang my poor old P3 700E is doing all she can at 950.Somewhat modified cpu heatsink dual fan ,but still air .I dont know what the bottle neck is though.I have 256mb Micron pc133 -75 B?Sandra says its pc133 max??I dont think heat at 100f is enough to stop it but it might,but more likely some peripheral,one of two nick cards,isa AWE 64,or mabe the DVD.Found the card replacement www.glideunderground.com/reviews/tnt_detonator/

------------------
    Miles

This too shall pass!
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Miless,
    Ok, all done. I finished my watercooling system and I was right 1110MHz stable! I've still got more voltage room to go so I might try my luck and push it further- I dunno. Like I said I would, I pulled the V770U out to pull the heatsink/fan off. That has got to be the cheapest fan/heatsink I've ever seen. It serves a better purpose being a decoration then it did on the chip itself.
    I did what you said and popped it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. After carefully working at the heatsink with a butter knife it popped off. Removing the remaining glue was a pain in the @$$! a half hour of my time and a razor did the trick though. I pulled the whole combo off the board and unplugged it. I installed my SS7 heatsink and fan using ties and then plugged it into a remaining 4 pin PS connector. The machine booted up just fine, and the TNT2U doesn't get nearly as hot anymore. Point is...it works without having the stock plugged in at all. Why your's didn't work I don't know, but I'd try it again.

------------------

Awesome Mosherup welcome to the Giga club.You know I need to know what kind of water cooler,how much was it and where did you get it? And while we are at it (you wanna trade Im still at first base as far as decideing how to cool my speed demon.Im alittle nervess about a pelter and Im not sure if a Alpha is nessesary.Could you ship your setup to me so I could have a look what are you useing for your heatsink/fan?Anyway good to hear you got a gig+ and I hope Im right on your heels.

------------------
    Miles

This too shall pass!
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Oh yea the Viper issue.I think I know why it wouldnt boot and it was like you said some kind of fail safe built into the card.Remember I hadnt remove the old heat sink when I tried just the fan.I beleive after the heatsink pops off that as long as it receives cooling then it will let the card go.Later..................1110ghz +
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Thread Information