Best 17" monitor?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 17" monitor?

Best 17" monitor?

I'm building a new system for college. I'd prefer to get a 19" but don't really have the room for it in a dorm room I don't think. so I'm thinking of getting a really good 17" what's the best 17" I could get for 250-350? I've been considering Trinitron or Hitachi but I'm not really up on monitors

Originally posted by Da Man:
    I'm building a new system for college. I'd prefer to get a 19" but don't really have the room for it in a dorm room I don't think. so I'm thinking of getting a really good 17" what's the best 17" I could get for 250-350? I've been considering Trinitron or Hitachi but I'm not really up on monitors
    go with the Trinitron 17" w/dot pitch .24-.25AG..I have the 19" version and it is an excellent monitor. good luck on your purchase and new system.

longbow2/callsign sycho

If I only had a living brain!

Dell 700r/100
    256MB SDRAM
    nVidia 32MB(SDR)5.32 Drivers
    SB Live! Value
    19" Trinitron Dot Pitch 24-25AG
    Harmon/Kardon 595 speakers(Dell OEM)

I use a 17" Sony Trinitron Multiscan E200, love it. If you use Powerstrip you can custom set the vertical refresh to 120hz for some major eye candy.

Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 410. As good a quality as the Sony Trinitron, uses the Mitsubish Diamondtron NF tube. Both the Trinitron and Diamondtron are flat and are of similar quality, but Ive always liked Iiyama for their high quality.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

well both tubes are awesome i really couldnt pick its up to you both offer excellent quality i would get either one. But personaly i own a 17' trinitron and i'm very happy with it. Both are about same price and both are awesome pick which you want only problem u might have that i have heard with trinitron moniters have is that sometimes there is a line that is viewable if u look real close at the screen which is there on mine if i look really hard but if your not really looking for it its not noticeable
    Ever seen scent of a woman
    Ever seen scent of a woman while overclockin
    How is it possible
    I wish there was some way
    I feel so invincible
    I'm the sculpture made of clay
    From Clayman by In Flames

ok, thanks everybody. has anyone else heard of the Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 410? I'll look into it though

A friend of mine has got the Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 410, looks very good. My brother has got the Pro 450 and thats great to

They've both got loads of awards and star reviews and all that
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

You might want to check out the KDS 19-SN shortneck. It is a 19" monitor but it is only a little deeper than most 17" monitors (especially Trinitrons and Diamondtrons which tend to be large). There are other short neck designs, but this one just came to mind.

Also, KDS makes really cheap Trinitrons. No need to blow $350 on a Sony brand when you can get the same Trinitron tube for $100 less.

I wouldn't completely rule out a 19" unless you're sure it won't fit. But I'll admit anything past 17" does start to become overly large in a dorm room.

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

yeah i totaly agree with wut ur saying freon i mean i'm not telling you to go out and buy the sony cuz there are alot cheaper trinitrons out there but trinitrons normaly give better quality and higher rez mines cabable of 1600x1200 rez but i never run that high i think its too small
    and personally in think 17" is big enough i just can see why i would need a 21" or even a 19" it would just look to big i think my 17" is big enough
    Ever seen scent of a woman
    Ever seen scent of a woman while overclockin
    How is it possible
    I wish there was some way
    I feel so invincible
    I'm the sculpture made of clay
    From Clayman by In Flames

well,
    i own a Sony FD Wega 19" and looks very good.
    I really like it, go for the 19" inches unless you sure you can not to acomodate it.
    I think is true about the triniton tubes, you can get it with other brands, but...
    Sony is a Sony, elsewhere, and the brand always mean.

Good luck with your monitor.

------------------
    visit my site (in spanish)
    www.grupoimperio.com
    Carlos A. Elenes G.
    visit my site (in spanish)
    [url]www.grupoimperio.com[url/]
    Carlos A. Elenes G.

I can tell you what not to buy. I have 17" KTX TopScan and have lost color 3 times now..hard to find someone to repair that too and it is only 3 years old. Don't know if they are all the same lemon as mine.

I have a MAG trinitron. You can get a good one for $250-$300, and they usually come with a long term service plan. If something goes wrong with it, you can order a new one while you send the bad one back, and your card is not charged.

I'm thinking of getting the Sony 17 G200 Trinitron. I found it at Buy.com for $388. I need to see if it'll fit my budget first though. although I might just MAKE it fit because it's about the only part that won't get outdated by the time it is shipped to me...

ViewSonic makes the best.

My opinion on monitors:

DO NOT SKIMP ON THE MONITOR.

Of all the components in your system...

- It will probably be with you the longest
    - You will look at it more than anything else.

When you consider how often you buy a monitor (every few years), and when you consider how often you use it (constantly), even with expensive monitors you get your money's worth.

And remember, you DO get what you pay for in the monitor world. The tube is only ONE component of the monitor and skimping on the other parts (pixel clock, ect) allows companies like KDS to charge so little. What good is it owning a Corvette if the engine is an inline 4 out of a Cavalier?

PS: Compare two monitors with the same exact tube. Youll find the one with the lower pixel clock is cheaper, which means lower maximum resolutions and refesh rates. Good pixel clocks cost money.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 08-02-2000).]
    This signature space FOR SALE

Thread Information