AntiAliasing
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AntiAliasing

AntiAliasing

I have a PIII 800Mhz Dell pc with 584Mb SDRAM and a 40Gb hard disk. I also have a nVidia Geforce 256 with 64Mb onboad ram. I have recently tried setting up antialiasing and it doesnt seem to have any effect on any of my games (UT, HL, NFSV, Deus Ex etc.) unless i set it to force antialiasing in all applications, in which case i get antialiasing but along with HUGE slowdown... I'm sure this shouldn't happen!!
    Can anyone help me as its really annoying cos i've got a flat screen which only goe up to 1024 x 768 so antialiasing is the only way i can combat jaggies!!

well when fsaa is enabled there is always a huge performance hit some times even half frame rate or more higher the rez the bigger the drop so it is probably acting normal
    Ever seen scent of a woman
    Ever seen scent of a woman while overclockin
    How is it possible
    I wish there was some way
    I feel so invincible
    I'm the sculpture made of clay
    From Clayman by In Flames

dmm is offline Linda's verbal backstop
    FSAA on the GeForce is a huge hit on performance, and as you have already seen, it really dosent work very well. But be patient, Nvidia has began putting a lot more of its resources into FSAA. Even thought it is not hardware supported, I expect its use of FSAA will get MUCH better in the next few months.

Dave
    i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz by Turbo multi - MSI Z68A-GD65-G3 - 8 gig GSkill Ripjaws @ 1600 8-8-8-24 - Corsair H100 Closed loop water cooling - GeForce GTX 770 - 256 gig Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and 250 Gig WD Blue Series - PCP&C Turbocool 850 SSI

From the benches I've seen, it seems like the older Geforce 256 is a lot slower at FSAA than the Geforce 2 GTS. I think the two textures per pass may be used for downsizing the backbuffer. So at best your speed will probably be 20-30% slower than the Voodoo 5 or Geforce 2.

Generally, FSAA should be slow as hell, so don't ever expect it to come close to the performance you get with it turned off. Also make sure you don't run higher than 800x600x16bit.

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Good advice Freon, but there is one thing to keep in mind. Tweaking around is very important for each game. Take Midtown Madness for example. I installed it per customer request on Friday (600mhz PIII, VooDoo 5), and as you said, 800 x 600 was max @ 2x WITH a good frame rate. Which is really quite good since that is better looking than 1024 x 768 without AA.
    Now consider Diablo 2, which has tons of graphic detail,but is stuck in prehistoric 648 x 480, was able to run silky smooth with 4x, and the graphics were stunning.
    NFS:Hot persuit can run with a high frame rate @ 1024 x 768 with 2x, and you can drop that to 800 x 600 with 4x, which again, is a beautiful show.
    With the speed capabilities of the GF2, I believe it will be able to approach results such as these as driver development comes along.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dmm (edited 07-30-2000).]
    i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz by Turbo multi - MSI Z68A-GD65-G3 - 8 gig GSkill Ripjaws @ 1600 8-8-8-24 - Corsair H100 Closed loop water cooling - GeForce GTX 770 - 256 gig Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and 250 Gig WD Blue Series - PCP&C Turbocool 850 SSI

who will buy a v5 6000 for $600 that use an external power supply, no T&L, more power consumption, etc..

when the GF2 ultra give the necessary performance to play at 1600x1200 at 60fps n' cost less..
    I will..... if it performs well enough?, for the ability to do HARDWARE Fsaa at 4x with acceptable frame rates as opposed to Nvidias "bolt on" Fsaa that only removes the jaggies. (and not all that well)

There can be no argument about 3dfx's fsaa:-

Have a look at this comparison to see the results of 4x Fssa and it's not just the jaggies look carefully when the characters move up and down, no flashing textures on 4x Fssa....... nice

http://www.cwinapp.com/voodoo5/fsaa.htm

(takes a while too load up, animated gifs)

as you can see 3DFX's fsaa also removes, (or reduces dramatically), the pixel popping and swimming effects that tend to be worse without fsaa at higher resolutions.

I like my Asus GTS but Nividia always seem to implementing stuff we don't really require too early like they did with 32C and T&L.

I'd rather have fully beta tested cards with hardware fssa and support for glide, personally.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 08-16-2000).]

Originally posted by dmm:
    With the speed capabilities of the GF2, I believe it will be able to approach results such as these as driver development comes along.
    BladeRunner
    I think DMM has a good point here. The drivers are really important, and hopefully there are some major improvements to come.
    By the way, who can afford a Voodoo5 6000?

------------------
    Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint...
    I am the spirit that constantly negates...

Yeah I probably didn't explain that correctly, they may be able to make it faster but it won't work as well (look as good), because it is done differently than the 3DFX FSSA. Geforce was not meant to do FSSA so it will always be a compomise. It does work ok in Half-life but I don't like it in Q3.

Both cards just don't have the raw power for it and V5 6000 will probably be borderline, for someone as fussy as me that is

And I probably should have mentioned a few thing I didnt Bladerunner. I said it earlier, and I agree %100 with you that software FSAA will not be able to compete with FSAA that is hardware supported. Anyone who has seen a V5 with 4x at 800 x 600, then a GeForce with only %50 AA turned on will catch on quick. In fact, every test I have run shows the 2 cards at equal speed with only one half of full setting on the GeForce and full, 4x on the V5. Both at 800 x 600.

I do think the GeForce AA will get better though, now that they have scaled back a great deal on the worthless T&L.

Dave

Actually, I don't think it's as much a matter of software vs hardware. Or to put it otherwise, what really makes a difference is how it's done, not who does it. The real difference is that 3DFX's method produces slightly better visuals, and doesn't require extra up/down scaling steps, either.

But I'll aggree that today's cards fall a tad short on computing power and bandwidth. A V5 6000 would be nice, but it's coming so late, personally I'd rather wait for the Rampage. (Assuming 3DFX doesn't screw up again.)

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Thread Information