how to put fan on c/l pci banshee?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: how to put fan on c/l pci banshee?

how to put fan on c/l pci banshee?

Ok thats the question,never done this before.
    I was thinking of using a 486 fan,but where do I connect the wires to?I see some connections on the banshee,can I use those?If any one knows of a site(with pics!) that shows how to do this it would be appreciated.Thanks.

Use a fan with a regular power connection - the banshee doesn't have a connecter for a fan.
    my computer sucks but my car stereo's better than yours!

Why do you need a cooler for a Banshee? This card is not getting too hot and is also not good in overclocking. There's simply no need for a cooler.
    DocMigru

To cool a banshee:

1. Find the two holes on the card around the heatsink
    2. Find a socket 7 style fan
    3. Get some long screws and attach the fan to the board, over the existing heatsink

The Banshee also runs exremely hot - I don't know what that other guy was on about. Once you connect the fan, it cools downa hell of a lot but I would still be careful when overclocking the core. I suggest you overclock the memory on it first - I have a CL PCI Banshee and the default memory clock is 100Mhz, so I changed it to 110Mhz at it is rock stable, giving me over 2fps extra in UT (not amazing, but something for free). Also, since the memory doesn't heat up and doesn't get damaged by increasing the speed, you can experiment with it until it becomes unstable without worrying about burning the house down.

USSVoyager

------------------
    Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

>Also, since the memory doesn't heat up and doesn't get damaged by increasing the speed,

???

What are you talking about? Memory does'nt heat up? No damage?
    Wrong. Very wrong. Why has the Hercules GeForce2 extra coolers on the memory chips? To protect them from dust? Haha!
    Every chip heats up. Memory less than processors, but they do.

The Banshee is a card with very low overclocking capability compared to others (TNT2...). 2 fps are not worth the risk to destroy the card. Overclocking is never for free!

DocMigru

Ok relax guy.The banshee does get hot.Heatsink hot to touch.Just wanted to cool it a bit to extend its life and system stability tho my system is solid.Maybe overclock,maybe not,can't afford a new card,gotta get the most outta this.Thanks all for the input.

jforth,

You can attach the fan to the banshee using long screws like USSVoyager said, or you can use a dab of silicon sealant. I've been running my CL PCI banshee at 120 MHz (with a fan) since March 99 and it's stable.

Thread Information