Slowdowns in Deus Ex with Geforce DDR
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Slowdowns in Deus Ex with Geforce DDR

Slowdowns in Deus Ex with Geforce DDR

I'm having some pretty bad slowdowns playing Deus Ex. I'm playing the game in 1024x76 in 16 bit only (I couldn't bear to play in 32 bit at 1280 x 1024. It was just pathetic). And it's not like the game's that good looking either. The only thing I can think of is the 1x AGP, and the fact that the game's 700 odd meg and it's slowing down to load a hell of a lot of textures. ??? I don't understand as I can usually get pretty good performance from this thing.

It usually gets around 50FPS in Q3 in 1280x1024 all options on 32 bit colour. Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Athlon 500
    Msi-6167 Mainboard
    128 meg cas2 SDRAM
    13 gig Quantum Fireball u/66
    SB Live! Value
    Leadtek Winfast Geforce256 DDR 136/340

It's the engine, optimized for Glide, and only poorly supporting D3D .
    I own a GF2, and I also play Deus Ex in 1024x768x16.
    I pretty sure it isn't the AGP1x, because the drivers I use (Det 5.32) support texture compression; Q3 runs fine with high texture detail.
    But the game is f***ing great!!

------------------
    Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint...
    I am the spirit that constantly negates...

I wish someone would drown the last breath of life out of the Unreal engine and bury it for good. It's not as if it's much good now anyway, compared to the Q3 engine but you would have thought Ion Storm might have checked the game out on that very rare card called a Geforce, and maybe had a quick look at the patching UT has received, but alas I'm assuming they have some common sense.

I hope it dies real soon

It doesn't run all that well on my sys either

P3 700 @ 988
    Abit BE6 r2
    256mb Mushkin PC 133
    Asus v7700 GTS (230/390)

I downloaded a Beta D3D patch from www.deusex.com and noticed a significant increase in speed.

Open up the purse strings BladeRunner and buy a V2 for UT.I think Ut looks pretty good.Or should game makers cater to geforce owners?I dunno,there always seems to be a game that runs better on someone elses card.Can't please everyone.

I've run Deus Ex on a Voodoo 2 and my TNT2 Ultra. They run about the same, actually, which is to say pretty damned slow.

I also have the beta D3D patch. The only real speed problems I have are on Liberty Island (anywhere outside), using the plasma gun, and when there are a lot of player models on my screen (like the shootout in Hell's Kitchen). Other than that it runs fine for a slower paced action game. Image quality blows though, even on the Voodoo 2.

Also, I don't think you can run Deus Ex in 32bit color. You can only run with 32bit textures. The 32bit textures do help out a lot, though.
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Originally posted by Freon:
    Also, I don't think you can run Deus Ex in 32bit color. You can only run with 32bit textures. The 32bit textures do help out a lot, though.
    Freon
    Plz, what is exactly the differene? I've been already thinking about that point.

------------------

Originally posted by jforth:
    Open up the purse strings BladeRunner and buy a V2 for UT.I think Ut looks pretty good.Or should game makers cater to geforce owners?I dunno,there always seems to be a game that runs better on someone elses card.Can't please everyone.
    I have thought of that but I'd need two of them in SLI and that = too many PCI slots, My point is this engine has had it's day and was never all that fantastic anyway, it should be taken out and shot.

Also I would have thought that Ion Storm could have at least D3D patched it to UT standard for release, and made it perform well on the fastest most popular gaming card of the moment.

I have a GeForce256ddr and a set of Voodoo2 1000's and i play it on voodoo all the time, it looks bad, but its better then slow and looking bad.. but I sure as hell would not go buy 2 voodoos and lose 2 PCI slots for it..
    the only reason I did is because I have a BF6 (6pci slots) and already had one voodoo..
    did i get off topic? naaa..

------------------
    //squag|e htp
    It is 3:50 in the morning, whats your plan for the day?
    //squag|e
    For Sale: 2k1 Pontiac Firebird
    http://www.squaglesoft.net/car.html

Meph: It means exactly what it sounds like. The textures are all stored in memory as 32bit, but the framebuffer is only rendered (dithered down) to 16bit. Generally, this takes away banding and replaces it with dithering.

In Deus Ex I think setting it to 32bit textures helps a lot with the image quality. It doesn't hurt performance too much.

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

I recently got Deus Ex and a new prophet 2 gts card. Definitely download the D3D patch because i noticed a huge improvement in fps. As stated before, the only big problem was in the beginning of the game and when there's a lot of models on the screen at one time. Otherwise, i can have everything set to high and no problem even on my P2 400.

Originally posted by icexe:
    I downloaded a Beta D3D patch from www.deusex.com and noticed a significant increase in speed.
    The patch-dll is older than the original one, both for the German retail version as well as for the US demo-version. I had expected it to be newer, since it is a patch.

------------------

Thread Information