Intel I740 AGP 8MB
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Intel I740 AGP 8MB

Intel I740 AGP 8MB

Anyone have any information, URL, articles or oppinions about this VGA?

Don't Do it !!! Sorry to get emotional, but if you are looking for a video card... The ONLY logical choices are Banshee, Voodoo II, and a TNT based card, with the best total solution being the TNT (for now).
    Cya

Don't be so emotional. I have a I740 card.
    I feel it to be at least as good as my
    voodoo I in 3d, and 2d is pretty ok. I also
    have a permedia II, I740's 3d is much better
    than permedia II, 2d about equal. I also
    have a savage 3d, its 3d is even slightly
    worse than I740 (at least from final reality
    benchmark), 2d slightly better than I740. I
    know TNT should be a better card, but, first,
    you need a powerful PII to get it running
    at the speed it supposed to reach. second, it
    is still expensive, the best price, $127 for
    16mb is still very high. I had my I740 for
    $34 (8MB agp),and I am very satisfied with
    its performance based on its price.

Emotional or not, I'd like you to explain WHY it's a good or bad card. Not just tell it's crap/good and nothing more.

I have just bought the card 1 month ago and at it's price it seemed to be a very good card.

I'm very satisfied with it's performance in 3D games I've used such as Mechwarrior Titanium (Direct3D), Unreal (OpenGL) and Final Fantasy VII (Hardware support)
    The 3D graphics looks really stunning. But since my old card was a poor S3Virge, I had nothing much to compare my experience with.

I do know that it's not as widely supported as 3DFX, but it's OpenGL and Direct3D support is quite good.

Anyone with any other views in this subject?

Arcadian, can you please explain why you think "the only logical" choices. What is it that makes I740 such an "unlogic" card to choose?

Chanse Guest
    I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. The i740 is not that fast, but is verrry inexpensive. From what I've see nit is worth the price. Not everyone needs an Obsidian X-24. I just bought a Velocity 4400. My options were somewhat limited by needing a PCI card. Going from a S3 virge it will seem really fast. But I went from a Rendition V2200(clean) and Viper330(fast), so it just wasn't enough.

I think i740 is good enough for most of the 3d games. The price for i740 is continue to drop (heard that intel is almost "dumping" their chips to vga manfacturer). If you want more 3d, get a voodoo II card to support your i740.

Goto toms hardware site: www.tomshardware.com for relative information. Look at the articles pertaining to agp. If you are looking for speed, the i740 chip set really slow compared to most of the 3d chipsets out there right now, but the 3d quality is quite good. One thing is the driver support for the agp texture system. There are 2 different types of agp memory access. One is dma, the other I cannot remember. One is slower than the other, the other is alot faster. The i740 cards use the slower of the 2 types of agp memory access. Intel designed the cards drivers this way, and so far none of the manufacturers have changed it. What this does is quite simple. The 8mb of memory that is on the video card are not actually used for texture storage at all!!! The i740 chipset drivers and chipset are designed to only use the system memory for textures. All textures that a game calls for are loaded from system memory, and do not go through the memory on the card. This can causes drastic slow down of frame rates on 3d games. Check out toms hardware for all their coments on this issue.
    Collinj
    Sometimes I wonder...

timmc Guest
    I have an Asus P3B-F motherboard with a PII-400 with a Intel I740 AGP 2x card. I am dual booting between Win95 and NT. The card setup properly in NT but 95 tells me that the Display Adapter is not setup properly after I change the drivers to the Win 95 Drivers. I am running Win 95 ver 2.5. Anyone have any ideas what's going on with this?

I have stealth 2 g460 with the i740 chipset and it works good for the price. Every game looks good (but not as good as my v770 ultra). even quake 3 test works good except you have to have some of the graphics turned down so you can get a good framerate. By the way is it possable to add an add on card to this like a vodoo 2 or something to make it better or should i just get another v770?

Since you are at it, can one of you pls help me... I have an Intel i740 8MB VGA Card and I can't seem to find the proper drivers to make it work... As a result I am waisting the card on showing only 640x480x16 colors... I've tried a driver that supposingly is the correct one, but...

Thanx

I also have a intel 740 based videocard and an asus p3b-f motherboard but all my win98 games crash within about 15 min. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Hi, I have the same problem that Chance had a few months ago...
    "Since you are at it, can one of you pls help me... I have an Intel i740 8MB VGA Card and I can't seem to find the proper drivers to make it work... As a result I am waisting the card on showing only 640x480x16 colors... I've tried a driver that supposingly is the correct one, but... "
    Thanx a lot !

You can reply me using my mail.

Hmm.. I was wondering who dug up this ancient post.

Well, back then, I decided to buy that card anyway and did experience this problem also.

The clue was the motherboard chipset. If you have this problem, you're most likely using a chipset from VIA or ALI. You MUST install the AGP drivers for the chipsets in order to make the card work properly.

Thread Information