What should I upgrade first?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What should I upgrade first?

What should I upgrade first?

Hello all.
    Right now I have a AMD k6-2 400, and a FIC 503+, 64mb, STB TNT w/16mb, a 20gb HD, Ensoniq soundcard, 19 inch monitor decent speakers. This has served me well for the past year, but now its time to upgrade! Should I go for a new Video card? A new MB and CPU? More Ram? All of the above? I have about $700 to spend. Anyone know what I should get?

Definately more RAM... I'd say if you can get 256 megs, go for it. THEN you might want to upgrade that video card... If you happen to still have about $120 after that, an AMD K6-3 450MHz will do really good for that motherboard.

Well, what would be a good video card for this set up? The Geoforce2 w/64mb or the Rage fury max w/64 mb? I am going to pick up more Ram.

64MB will play most games fine (even games like Q3). You might get a 5-10% boost in performance at best in most games.

A new graphics card will let you run higher resolutions, but if your base resolutions are not good enough, then you must replace the CPU.

If you replace the CPU, but not the graphics card, then you must lower the resolution to play at higher frame rates.

If you get a Socket A board (basic one is about $120), Duron 650 ($105), 64MB PC-133 ($70), and a GeForce2 (MX $125) for about $450 after shipping. You could add a SB Live Value for another $50. you could also get an Athlon 800Mhz for about $200 within a month instead of the Duron. These two would bring it up to about $600. Maybe you could squease a GeForce2 GTS in instead.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

CPU is the biggest bottleneck (i've found)

I use a AMD K6-2 450 with a GeForce 256 DDR with 192 SDRAM...the system is choked by the CPU

My experience says more RAM does little difference (above 128meg that is)

I'm going for a PIII 667EB shortly so I'll see if I was right about the CPU (which I'm betting I am)

Since you have a 19" beast monitor it will look damn fine at >1024x768 resolutions so I'd grab a GeForce GTS or something to compliment your monitor

AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

It all depends on what YOU want. the biggest thing I've found with asking other people their opinion is, that's what you get, what THEY want. Hey you feel as though that CPU is a little outdated then upgrade. But if you upgrade anything plan for the future. If you get a new CPU, go for the combo, (CPU and MOBO) and get an Athlon or PIII at least 600 MHz in both cases. then this way you'll have a MOBO that can accomodate bigger CPU's. If you go with a Video card get the Geforce2 GTS from what I read, this card has stuff on it that games won't be able to use for a while, so the card has a while before it becomes outdated. Like sexymf said 64mb of RAM is fine but considering the amount of $ you have grab another stick of 64mb and throw it in there. With $700 you should be able to beef up the system quite a bit and while you're at it throw in some fans. $15 a piece.

------------------
    AMD K6-2,
    475Mhz,Giga byte mobo,128mbRAM,
    Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Soundblaster LIVE!
    Athlon XP1600 @1.4 GHz,Asus A7V266-E, 256mb DDR-RAM,
    Annihilator 2, Soundblaster LIVE!,Windows XP
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

well if you are satisfied with the way your K6-2 performed, then i would suggest a Socket A mobo, and a Duron (or even a T-Bird) at around 650MHZ, maybe 128MB PC133, and something like a Geforce 2 (or if you are not interested in Super high intesity graphics and gameplay, you could get a TNT2 Ultra or Viper II used alot chieper) the biggest problem right now, is if you got a Geforce 2 and stuck it in your existing setup, the CPU would be your bottle neck, so the GeForce wouldn't do too much to help the system out.

Upgrading such an "old" system is not easy. The cheapest way is a new k6/2-500, additionally 64MB and a TNT2 or V3-3500. This components are the optimum for socket 7 configurations.
    256MB RAM are a waste of money in that system, also is a GeForce or Voodoo5 overkill.
    The best and expensive way is a cpu/mobo upgrade (Athlon recommended). But then you need many new parts. Better RAM (100 or 133MHz SDRAMs), maybe a new case (bigger powersupply), the cpu and the mobo, a good graphics(GF2, V5) and maybe a faster harddisk. In other words: Nearly a complete new PC.
    Fortunately your monitor is already state-of-the-art.
    Regards, DocMigru

Yor K6-2 is definitely a pain in the *** for gamers, because of its really poor floating point unit. The FPU is extremely important for the geometric transformations in 3D-games, the frames before they get rendered.
    My brother's got a K6-2, and it sucks!

------------------
    Ask not for whom the elbow cometh...it cometh for thee.

Mephisto, I agree my system is proof... AMDs just don't cut for my needs anymore... When I upgrade to a PIII 667EB I will give my 450 CPU to my flatmate (who does application stuff) and it will be a decent upgrade. ie it depends what you want out of your system

I think this thread went rather well... We covered most of the points which have been fiercly debated for months without entering in CPU wars

AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

There is one reason that that the GeForce is not a totally bad choice for a K6-2 rig. The K6-2's floting point really kills it particualarly in the T&L process (lots of floting point) in the 3D rendering pathway.

Provided the game supports using hardware T&L(there aren't that many), there will be a bigger differance between a GeForce and say a TNT2 Ultra in a system with a weak floting pt CPU (K6-2) than in one with a stronger CPU (Athlon, Duron, PIII or Celeron) where both cards are probably limited by memory bandwinth.

Thread Information