Overclocking kills memory
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking kills memory

Overclocking kills memory

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardwa...oc/default.asp

Has anybody here experienced this problem?

I know a lot of people here overclock their cards, and I do too.
    But I dont really run with them overclocked for long as I dont see that big a performance gain.

------------------
    P3600e@800 with Alpha PEP66
    BF6 Mobo
    CreativeGTS
    Vortex2 sound
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

This is a danger when you run anything at it's maxiumn. Chips also vary in batches so you may get a bad one. (just one of them would be enough), and I've heard it can happen using things at default. You pays your money and you take your chances

THAT explains why Hercules prophets web site is urging everyone to flash their bios (which could potentially kill your card) with a bios that sets those default settings lower.

How much higher is the Prophet clocked above normal?
    I know when I had my CLAP1 I could overclock the memory by about 20mhz or so b4 I got tiny little dots in demanding graphics, like 3dmark.
    But with my CLAP2 I can get to 395mhz, an increase of 62mhz.

There seeme to be an understanding that the infineon memory modules are of a better yeild nowadays and a lot of people are having great results at clocking their memory by quite a large amount, without producing any artifacts.
    But is this warning telling us that even if artifacts arent present to start with, you are damaging your memory?
    When you overclock a cpu, temperature and voltage has a lot to play in the matter.
    But where do we stand with memory?
    Hercules have little sinks on their modules, but I've heard that this makes no difference.As heat isnt the problem.

From the amount of articles posted around the web showing good results from overclocking the memory on a GTS, it seems that there are a lot more people being tempted to overclock their cards, especially when drivers now have in built overclocking utilities, manufacturers keeping up with the Jones's.
    But in several months time are we going to have a lot of damaged cards?

------------------
    P3600e@800 with Alpha PEP66
    BF6 Mobo
    CreativeGTS
    Vortex2 sound
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Originally posted by Necessary Evil:
    THAT explains why Hercules prophets web site is urging everyone to flash their bios (which could potentially kill your card) with a bios that sets those default settings lower.
    Is that true? Never heard about it.
    I'm going with Gasman here. Technically the signal curves in the memory chips are becoming less steep and sharp when you overclock, which can lead to corrupted data in the chips, but not to damage. Heat is not a factor, and if the voltage isn't raised, there should be no problem.

------------------
    Ask not for whom the elbow cometh...it cometh for thee.

Yes the voltage could be an issue here as a lot of mobo bios upgrades have raised the VIO volt's to counter stability issues with Geforce 1. 3.5 on my BE6r2 (the default with later bios revisions) is reported as 3.56v in MBM so maybe that is a factor. I run mine (with a GTS) at 3.4 v reported as 3.43 in the Asus Smart Doctor and MBM.

In my opinion ram heatsinks, (if glued on in the poor way most of these things generally are), will Insulate the ram chip and make it hotter rather than aid cooling at all.

I think the other factor as mention before is batch quality, there always will be poorer ones in a batch and the occasional bad one and you would only have to have one of these on your card to show problems, that is it will only be as good as the worst chip.

Thread Information