ATI Rage Fury (32 Meg) vs. Voodoo3 3000
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ATI Rage Fury (32 Meg) vs. Voodoo3 3000

Hybrid View

ATI Rage Fury (32 Meg) vs. Voodoo3 3000

I currently have a Voodoo3 3500 (which is basically a Voodoo3 3000 with a TV and FM Tuner) and it doesn't perform well for me in DirectX and DOS games. I'm going to trade it for an ATI Rage Fury. I have a FIC VA-503+ and an AMD K6-2 533MHz... Would this perform better for me than the Voodoo3 3500 did?

lord no.
    actually the V3 3500 is also clocked higher then the V3 3000 from 166/166mhz to 183/183mhz.
    but no the Rage won't be any faster then your current card (it's not even as fast as a V3 2000) the Rage FuryPro on the other hand is slightly faster then a V3 2000, maybe as fast as a V3 3000(maybe)

as for DOS support what game are you playing that requires something better then a V3 3500?

the only cards that are significantly faster then the V3 3500 are:
    Geforce/2
    Voodoo 4/5 series
    ATI Radeon
    but that's about it

------------------
    cel 566@900, Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1gig, GTS 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

Well, I used to have a Savage4 and then a TNT2 and they both performed better in DOS games and applications (Duke Nukem 3D, some SNES emulators) than my Voodoo3 3500 does.

The reason that I got rid of my Savage4 and TNT2 were because I didn't know anything about video cards whatsoever back then, and I didn't think they supported OpenGL (heh). So, I took them back and traded for a Voodoo3 3000 PCI (which performed like crap on my system)... I then traded once again for the Voodoo3 3500.

well if you go back to a TNT2 get the ultra one. it should offer similar preformance as a V3 3500 and Nvidia should have support for DOS

------------------
    cel 566@900, Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1gig, GTS 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

So you're saying that the ATI Rage Fury isn't even as good as the TNT2 (Ultra)?

i would say that you should get a new cpu. the k6-2 isn't really good at gaming.

The rage fury smokes an old school tnt at 32bit, and matches a tnt2. The pro can match a tnt2 ultra/voodoo3 3000, barely. I say stick with your 3500. One thing though - I used to have trouble with dos games too, but I got some program (someone help me here) that let me use vesa version 2.0 - it was like graphic doctor or something. I wouldn't change my card just for dos games. Wait up and upgrade to a geforce later.
    my computer sucks but my car stereo's better than yours!

Agent, stay with your current system. It's the best combination available. The TNT2 is less effective on AMD-K6-2-systems and the Ati is a very slow crap. The only thing Ati performs well is DVD decoding. Forget this card.
    Upgrading the cpu would be better but expensive. So save your money.
    Regards, DocMigru

Thread Information