Geforce 2 back to Desktop
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Geforce 2 back to Desktop

Geforce 2 back to Desktop

When I play D3D-Games on my new Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 GTS I'm getting thrown back to the desktop after a random period of time. This happens with Messiah, Tomb Raider 4, Thief 2, Descent3, Unreal, Dagoth Moor Zoological Gardens, Half-Life (in OpenGl I get lockups, Prot.Err. in hw.dll. Looks like it happens faster at higher res (1024x768) and 32 Bit. Quake3 runs fine and fast.
    My System: Cel 433 on Intel AL440LX, 128 MB RAM PC100@66, newest Elsa Drivers based on Nvidias 5.22, newest MoBo BIOS, newest Video BIOS, AGP Aperture Size set to 256, Hardware acc. in Windows SysConPanel one notch back, Elsa Card not o'clocked and not sharing its interrupt. I also tried the Nvidia drivers, same thing.
    Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

------------------
    Everything has already been said, but not by everyone, yet!

Well I know Geforce 1 wasn't all that keen on LX mobos but I thought that was more an AGP power issues that shouldn't effect GTS.

Do you have any ram settings in the Bios. if so set them to the slowest (usually 3) and if you have a setting SDRAM leadoff set it to 4. Dissable your sound card, also no 1 PCI should be left empty.

If you can try the card in another PC to see if it is a fault with it and
    check HERE, may find some of it useful if you don't already know.

My PCI soundcard is three slots away from my GF2. I will try and disable or remove it and activate the onboard 16bit sound chip.
    I am suspecting that my problems come from AGP (probability of failure higher at high res/color). I also have read many of the articles and notes dealing with the GF2, including geforcefaq and g256.com.
    My Phoenix BIOS ...P14 isn't very flexible regarding graphics, there isn't much more to change. As you proposed, memory timing maybe...

Later:
    Sadly there's really no way to change memory timing issues in my f%$ Phoenix BIOS.
    Deactivating sound doesn't help, neither removing my Aztec PCI sound card.
    Deactivating USB: same problem.
    Latest chipset drivers for the 440LX: same.
    Trying to deactivate the processor-to-AGP-bridge in Windows: Windows hangs before reaching the desktop.
    Must I really send back thisgreat card?! Must I, Miss Sophie?? Help!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mephisto (edited 07-15-2000).]

Sadly there's really no way to change memory timing issues in my f%$ Phoenix BIOS.
    Deactivating sound doesn't help, neither removing my Aztec PCI sound card.
    Deactivating USB: same problem.
    Latest chipset drivers for the 440LX: same.
    Trying to deactivate the processor-to-AGP-bridge in Windows: Windows hangs before reaching the desktop.
    Must I really send back thisgreat card?! Must I, Miss Sophie?? Help!!

------------------

There is always the new mobo option, get a BX, (works perfectly on my BE6rII), as it did on my BF6. Is your mobo one of the blacklisted ones as there were some LX boards that would not work with Geforce 1 at all.

I'm not sure what type your CPU is Slot 1??

Anyway it's got to be considered and if you buy it from a store that has a no quibble returns policy you can't really loose.

Should also improve performance as, BX is still performance king, especially in games even after all this time, and give you plenty of scope for CPU upgrades in the future.

Do make sure you read all of the FAQ as It can be tedious but fixes for problems unreleated to yours may work.

Thank you, Blade Runner, for your suggestions!
    My Celeron is a Slot1. The Intel AL440LX-Bord proved to work even with the power-hungry Geforce1 (geforcefaq). It is also able to run at 100 MHz FSB.
    Right now I'm thinking about selling the GF2 card or trading it in for a voodoo5 5500.
    Thanks guys, I'm going to look if I can help others with my voodoo/general 3d experience.
    See you!

------------------

Looks like I fixed my problem! I loaded down Powerstrip and switched from AGP2x (which both mobo and card do support!) to AGP1x. Dagoth Moor Zoological Gardens runs forever!
    Switch back to AGP2x -> DMZG falls back to desktop after 20 sec.!
    Will doing so cause a big performance hit?

------------------
    Ask not for whom the elbow cometh...it cometh for thee.

Thread Information