Athlon+voodoo 5 = ??? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Athlon+voodoo 5 = ???

BLADERUNNER: There sending me the whole mother bother installer everything for my mother board kinda like the newest drives because my computer didn't come with a cd for the mobo. And when I download the newest drivers it says the file is not found in dos mode. Oh yeah my onboard sound is the same irq as my vid card does this matter and if it does is there a way to change the irq's to a different # .

URGGGGHHHHH. don't know if that is causing you problem but it has been a known issue. The Geforce should have it's own IRQ but not sure how you do it or if it is different with on board sound. It's something you should really investigate though.

Check the Geforce FAQ as I'm sure there is something about it there. You should also have PCI slot 1 clear is possible.

yeah the pci slot 1 is clear of all components. I'll get back to u after I'm done talking with tech support on how to change irq's. I don't know if this matters or not but my graphics card runs for about 30 seconds and then crashes.

[This message has been edited by StefanCruz (edited 07-16-2000).]

can someone with a 3d prophet II gts gon into microsoft system information ( located in acceries then system tools ) and check if all the drivers are installed because in my information I just found that a couple of drivers are listed as not installed. Oh yeah in my previous irq posting i figured out that 3 diffrent things use the same irq as my gts card and i still can't get through tech support.

This is again just a possible cause if you are having problems, as I have a few things using the same IRQ, but I don't have any problems. I think the IRQ PCI steering thing is ok but try to get the others off if you can.

One other thing just have a look at the heatsink on the GPU to see if there is an Air gap. Again unlikely but not unheard of. I don't know, Initial impressions appeared to show the GTS had solved most of the issues from the first card, only to create a load more that appear harder to solve

hey bladerunner I had enough with my gts i want to get a voodoo 5 but i don't know if it'll work or not because so far my maxxx and gts didn't work and i am starting to think that it's my computer not the cards but also the maxx and gts have alot of problems have u heard of any problems with the voodoo 5 bladerunner ???

Well you can't say we didn't try . Yeah I'd try the V5 5500 as it is a good card by all accounts, and I'm sure now you just what something you can use and you are running out of choices . I've not tried the card myself, waiting to see what the 6000 is like, also it appears a bit hit and miss as to whether a V5 will have a high, over spec,(89 +) AGP bus that I would require to use one in my O/C'd system.

Anyway your mobo has AGP divider so not an issue. If I were you and you are going to buy from a store / shop then agree a return period before buying, you can use the Geforce debacle to argue the point if required.

Ask Morelin as he has got a V5 5500 and got it a while back so will be able to give you an honest users opinion.

Let me know how it turns out, this is a bit like a soap........ can't wait for the next instalment

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 07-16-2000).]

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of conflicts with the GTS (ideally the Hercules Prophet2, but any of them will do) and the Abit KA7 mbd. This is what I hope to get, but if there is a good chance I'll have loads of problems, I'll get the Voodoo 5500 instead.

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of conflicts with the GTS (ideally the Hercules Prophet2, but any of them will do) and the Abit KA7 mbd. This is what I hope to get, but if there is a good chance I'll have loads of problems, I'll get the Voodoo 5500 instead.

I think I have heard of problems, but I cannot be bothered to refer you to any other posts as I am on holiday and disserve a break If I were you, I would get the V5 5500. Even if 3DFX are behind in some aspects, at least they can make a compatible card (unlike nVidia).

USSVoyager

------------------
    Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

Thread Information