Athlon+voodoo 5 = ???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Athlon+voodoo 5 = ???

Athlon+voodoo 5 = ???

Are there any problems anyone has had so far with a voodoo 5 agp because I can't get my prophet II work'n so I'm gonna take it back tommarow and exchange it for a voodoo 5 the voodoo 5 is my last chance to get a video card because so far I got a maxx, geforce, and geforce 2 gts and none of them worked.

Are you sure it's the cards? and not the mobo, I think V5 works ok on Athlon systems but the drivers aren't optimised for the athlon yet.

Aye, what BladeRunner said. My V5 works perfectly with my Athlon and the ABIT KA7 mobo. The drivers are not too well optimized for Athlon, though, and that's puting it mildly.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

StefanCruz, did you get a bigger PSU? If not, you aren't going to get any of these graphics cards working on your PC. If you have got a 300W PSU like we all suggested, I think that the V5 5500 is the best chance to get your computer working.

USSVoyager

------------------
    Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

StefanCruz,

I also went through the video card selection when I set up my latest system. I tried 3 different GeForce cards DDR and SDR, all locked up randomly. I tried a Viper II, just a POS IMHO, crappy output and jumpy. I tried a MAXX, wouldn't even post. I did all of this knowing that my old TNT worked fine in it...

So, I then got a VooDoo3 3k. It worked great... So when it came time for me to upgrade I thought, do I want to go through the GeForce shpiel again or try a VooDoo5 5500? I went for the VooDoo. It ran perfect right out of the box (minus an install bug which installs the incorrect (older) drivers. This was due to the fact that I had a V3 in it before.)

Other than that, screaming fps and the FSAA, IMHO, is better looking that my friends Athy/GF2 combo. The pictures out of the V5 seem more "real" to both of us. So I kept it and enjoy the hell out of it. :-)

So if your experiences sound anything like mine, I'd give it a shot and go for the V5. :-)

Athlon 750 on ASUS K7V with VooDoo5 5500.
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

Yep USSVoyager I got the 300 watt psu and it doesn't help today I'll try to call my tech support and see if they can help and if they can't I'll just get the voodoo 5. But it might be my mobo I have a ms-6191 does any one else out there have the same kind of mobo.

I have a mobo that is very similar: Microstar MS-6167 (Slot A Athlon as well). I have looked up many sites and my motherboard is supposed to be a pain to get working with the GeForce/GeForce2. When I upgrade from my Banshee (soon, I hope!) I am going to get the new ATI Radion 256 and if that fails, just get a Voodoo5 5500. I have heard no horror stories about the Voodoo5, so I would suggest getting that for you. From what I have heard, the Voodoo5 gets along with every chipset, AMD's included.

USSVoyager

------------------

Yeah uss I'm just going to get the voodoo 5 today I've tried everything to get the geforce 2 gts working with my athlon and for all those locky few that got there's working I'm very happy for u all

I'm gonna right this stuff in caps because it is very important.

ALL U VIDEO CARD MAKERS MAKE A COMPATABLE CARD FOR BOTH ATHLON'S AND INTEL PLEASE.

USS I'm not gonna wait for a radion from ati because I have the money right now and I'm sure that ati isn't gonna make a very good card prob. as good as the voodoo 5 (I had alot of prob's with ati big prob.)

I will probably get the V5 5500 myself, but I think I disserve to give ATI a chance first because I want the best DVD performance and the Radion looks like a solid card for DVD purposes at least.

Hope the V5 5500 works for you!

USSVoyager

------------------

I know that this is of the subject but do u guys think I should try to reinstall my motherboard I called tech support and they said that they can send me a cd within 3 days and I have 5 days left to return the card if it doesn't work.

And If it doesn't work should I just wait voodoo 5 6000 (when is it coming out anyway) or wait until raidon comes out just like u USSVoyager

It is probably not the motherboard, per-say, it is the chipset on it... But... As I was saying before. A friend and I built systems recently.
    Mine:
    Athlon 750
    128M Mushkin High Performance PC133
    ASUS K7V (KX-133 chipset)
    VooDoo5 5500

His: (Actually, his girlfriends, but who's counting)
    Athlon 700
    256M Mushkin High Performance PC133
    ASUS K7V (KX-133 chipset)
    GeForce 2 (Gladiac I think, not sure)

I had GeForce before and couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried... His worked first shot. If I actually had a problem with the chipset, I would expect some problems from time to time, at least some crashes, but my system is totally ROCK solid. The most stable (Windows OS, that is...) PC I have ever had.

So it is totally some kind of hit and miss with Athlon chipsets and GeForce cards.

Replacing the motherboard with another might work. Or nothing might happen... You could try. Personally, After reading some game compatibilities with the GeForce and the majority of people, (including my self) with V5 5500s saying they have no problem with compatibility, I am extremely happy with the VooDoo.

That same friend and I also both agree that the VooDoo seems to have a little better picture when using FSAA. It seems more "REAL" than the GeForce. Very slight difference, but when looked at side by side, noticable. And it si something that doesn't really show up in screenshots, it has something to do with the way the frames are put together or something. When the picture is moving, the VooDoo just seems... well... more life like and the GeForce, albeit a little faster (accept in some games with FSAA on) just seemed to look like a video card. That's the best I can explain it without thinking of better termonology.

But a main point is that both cards are so fast that the speed differences are mostly unnoticable.

I.E. I can play Quake 2 at over 200+ frames per second, he can play at over 215+ frames per second... Whoopie... at over 100 frames, you can't really tell any more... A Lot of people say 30 or 60 but a lot of people can tell up to around 80 or 100. I play Q3 at ungodly speeds. The VooDoo actually helped my Q3 skill. I am able to see clearer and faster than before. I have no complaints.. (so far)

I run in 2xFSAA all the time. I have no games yet that I have to turn FSAA off to get the game to run smooth...

Ok, I am done rambling. If you have any questions, ask away..

Rock Dog

(typo)

[This message has been edited by Rock Dog (edited 07-15-2000).]
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

I know it is a pain in the a$$ but you really should reformat with a new card. Some of these issues I'm sure could be caused by the previous graphics card install and drivers. I heard of problems that could have been caused by V3 to geforce upgrades.

Fresh install is the best way anyhow.

Rock dog this is for u I'm thinking about getting a the voodoo 5 5500 but do u know when the 6000 is gonna come out because that card be be hella better than the 5500.

Oh yeah I'm gonna give my 3d prophet 3 more days because I'm supposed to get the newest driver for my mobo in the mail by mon. or tue. and the card has to be back by wednsday.

But what really ticks me off is how the hell do some people with athlons get a geforce to work that makes no sense

BladeRunner: I did reformat Every time I tried a new vid card. 3 GeForces, 5 formats. tons of drivers, etc.. No luck...

StefanCruz: I am also looking forward to the 6000. Even though I already spent the $300 for the 5500, I am seriously looking forward to the 6000. (My wife is looking forward to getting my 5500 ) The last I heard was that it was due summer 2k. Which is now. The more realistic I heard was mid August. I am looking forward to seeing some benchmarks on it.

As far as the some people getting GeForces to work... I know it is a lot easier to get a GeForce to work on an AMD 750 chipset compaired to the VIA KX-133. I have also heard that the new VIA KZ-133 is more GeForce friendly. But I also know a lot of people with the VIA KX that have GeForce working fine... Like my friend. Same MB I have...

I think it has a lot to do with the speed of which the GeForces were released and the speed of driver development. As everyone knows, 3dFX took a long time getting their V5s released because of product testing and compatibility testing. Sometimes waiting is a good thing... That is my best guess right now...

StefanCruz

Just goes to prove you can't fix all the problems all the time , I suppose you've tried with all other cards out, sound modem etc etc?. What are they sending you on CD? can't you download it?

Thread Information