PB and AGP
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PB and AGP

PB and AGP

Hi
    I've got an old PB Pulsar - PII 233 (saving up for a real computer) and am trying to upgrade the current matrox PCI graphics card with a hercules Prophet II GTS AGP card. I've checked that the machine can support the card and updated the BIOS to the latest version. However when I install the card and power on the machine hands and I need to unplug to power off. The monitor light does not come on (which it normally does when the system starts up and it recognises the card). I've tried it with and without the matrox card left in place but this has no effect at all. Anybody got any ideas what else I can try? PB support is not responding to any email and the hercules site will not let me register so that I can search their forum, the form is not submitted just sits there doing sweet FA!!!! Thanks for any help anyone can offer.....thought this should ahve been an easy upgrade....

I guess you know you will be seriously CPU limited there Anyhow are you setting the bios to use AGP graphics first, you should also uninstall the Matrox in the device manager before shutting down changing cards booting up into the Bios and setting to initiate AGP graphics first.

try that and post back here if not with full system details, also have a good look here:- Geforce FAQ

Thanks for the help. Have tried removing the matrox card from windows system settings, shutting down and installing the hercules card but still no joy. Changed the jumper setting on motherboard to boot straight into BIOS config but it is still not getting as far as the POST check. Beginning to think I'm going to have to buy a new machine. There is no setting in my BIOS to choose to initiate AGP graphics first.

Current spec is:
    PII 233 on Intel 440LX
    96mb RAM
    Atlanta Motherboard (PB800) with latest BIOS update
    AGP Aperture Size set to 256 in BIOS settings

Maybe it's done automatically but there is usually a manual setting maybe a jumper somewhere?, I hate Packard Hell's

Thread Information