Voodoo2 and DirectX problems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo2 and DirectX problems

Voodoo2 and DirectX problems

I have a 12Mb Diamond Voodoo2 with a Matrox G100 AGP card. With applications using DirectDraw and/or Direct3D through the Voodoo the image is interlaced at some parts (like sprites), colors are blurred up and pale, or they are negative in purple tones.
    Any ideas/solutions to this problem?

Thanks anyway...
    "To Fail to Plan is to Plan to Fail."
    - an old CT adage

Come on, it shouldn't be too hard to type in something useful, I'm not looking for a total remedy of problems, just some hints or tips. Do you think uninstalling and then re-installing would help?
    - an old CT adage

update your voodoo 2 drivers.
    Which version of Windows are you using and which version of Direct X?
    Abit BE6 MoBo
    Celeron II 950 @ 1.2GHz
    256 PC 133
    Windows XP Pro
    Ati 8500LE 128DDR
    NEC 19" Monitor
    Creative SB Live! 5.1
    Maxtor 20Gig HDD 7200

You should be using the latest reference drivers listed on 3dfx's website. There are still some DirectX issues even with the latest drivers, but I doubt that 3dfx is concerned with fixing them anytime soon. They've got a long way to go on their V5 drivers still.

My drivers are the newest available. Voodoo2 is using 3dfx's reference drivers, which helped a little, but I know it is because of DirectX. I'm currently using version 7.0a, but I had the same kind problems even on ver. 6.0 of DirectX. Any ideas?
    - an old CT adage

How much RAM do you have on your machine? If you have 32 Megs, than you probably don't have enough for todays games......
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

32 Mb? Wow, do they really sell so small RAM chips? I haven't ever even bought smaller than 64Mb, and I'm currently holding 128 Mb. Besides, it wouldn't even have any effect on graphical occurences such as this.
    - an old CT adage

The card could be on its way out?
    E6400 @ 4.1 Ghz // 4Gb DDR2 6400 // 8800GTS 512

I don't think so, it was like that from the day it was bought. It could be a manufacturing fault, though. Hope not... Whaddaya think about the forced reinstalling of DirectX? Any related things I should be concerned about?
    - an old CT adage

OK, now I'm getting pretty pissed... I uninstalled DirectX using a not-so-Microsoft product which did the job well according to DXTool and then I reinstalled DirectX. The problem was still there. Then I tried again... and again... and again... and no result/change. Does anyone else have this combo that I do? I'd sure like to know if anyone else's picture is screwed like mine. I think I'm losing this battle...Damnit!
    - an old CT adage

I also have this huge problem with directx+voodoo2, though even greater. Everytime i try to run ANY game that use
    direct3d, it hangs.. huge freezup. Though games using OpenGL runs perfectly. I use the latest drivers from 3dfx.com and directx7a. I also use a amd k6-2 350 mhz,, this problem started to occur since i installed directx7/7a. So well.. they suck..

maybe if you remove even your 3d card! delete all drivers ... and put back your card into pc and make sure you have the right drivers! i have a 3dfx voodoo2 creative labs 12mb with directx 7.a and no problems at all!
    Asus P5Q
    Intel core 2 Duo 3ghz 1333 fsb 6mb L2 cache
    OCZ Gold XTC 4GB DDR2-1066
    Asus ati3870 512mb pci express 16
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

territory i have the same setup as u to the T but i have major voodoo2 problems, i am getting only 10 FPS!!

what drivers are you using?
    or does anyone know what drivers would be best?/

Since you mentioned that you were using 3dfx ref drivers, have you tried out Diamond's latest drivers?

Maybe Diamond's Voodoo 2 is designed differently than the reference design. Thus it does not work well with ref drivers.

Another reason could be overclocking.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

xlr8 don`t take the drivers that are on creative labs site! they are old like hell!
    thats not all i have some scpecial drivers that you can take on this site www.glsetup.com! download this! great drivers for all 3d cards! try it!
    Asus P5Q
    Intel core 2 Duo 3ghz 1333 fsb 6mb L2 cache
    OCZ Gold XTC 4GB DDR2-1066
    Asus ati3870 512mb pci express 16
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

Thread Information