Geforce lockups after reinstall of win
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Geforce lockups after reinstall of win

Geforce lockups after reinstall of win

Ok, here is the deal. I got a new GForce DDR last week. I got rid of my TNT, put in the GF and things worked great until....I reformatted my HD and reinstalled windows. I have the newest drivers for everything, and the patches for everything. Problem is, I can't play any 3d game. They all lock up. Q3 locks up at the main menu. I took out my soundcard to troubleshoot, still, I get nothing.

Any ideas???

www.geforcefaq.com should fix you up. It's pretty long now but fairly accurate and complete. If that doesn't help list your complete hardware specs and driver versions, we can't help if we don't know what you have.

Thanks for your response. Here are the specs:

celeron 300a o/c 450
    abit bh6 MB v.1
    128mb sdram
    geforce ddr leadtek v.b
    ensonic audiopci sound card
    kingston ethernet card
    3com 56k modem
    windows 98se

I already went to the geforcefaq. My system worked great before i reformatted my drive and reinstalled the OS. I have no hardware conflicts and I have checked the bios(as much as i know how to) for any anomolies. Nothing. I put in my old tnt card and BAM, q3 worked. My geforce still refuses to budge.

Half the way between a PC screen and the scary real life...
    It is the "now buy a GeForce GTS" feature in the drivers. It is like the DirectX from Microsoft. After a while, your old hardware will be screwed up just because the company which issues the software wants to suck up some money from you, because the CEO needs a new car.

Ok, that was pure imature bull... don't start flaming. I am pretty f**cked up today. Sorry...

Have you reinstalled your AGP miniport? Just a suggestion... Can be registry mess...
    Main rig: Athlon64 x2 4200+ | Asrock 939N68PV-GLAN | 4x512MB PC3200 | 120GB Seagate | Samsung DVDRW SH-S203D | VX550W PSU | WinXP Home SP3 / Ubuntu 7.10
    Headache generator: K6-2 500 | FIC VA503+ | 2x64MB PC133 | Voodoo 3 2000 PCI | SB32 ISA PnP | 15,2MB IBM | Xubuntu 8.04 / DeLiLinux 0.7.2
    Lappy: Compaq EVO N115 | Mobile Duron 1GHz | 384MB PC133 | VIA KM133 | Xubuntu 8.04
    A big thanks to MS's Vista for making me look into Linux distros!

I have a C300A on a BH6 mobo also.
    Had problems with lockups. Finally switched to 1X AGP and it seems to have resolved the issue. I don't know what kind of hit I am taking on performance though...
    BTW, my GeForce is a GTS (CLAP) card.

Hope that helps...
    --Sam

Sounds like you need to raise the voltage to the AGP slot which I believe you can with the BH6. If it's not in the BIOS (and maybe a later revision BIOS changes this) there may be a jumper for it. VIO voltage or something labeled similar. Be careful as this may also raise the voltage to your memory and PCI cards,check your motherboard manual to see if it's an option. Check your powersupply, 250w minimum for GeForce systems, higher is better.

Also try taking out your NIC card, these seem to cause problems with a GeForce. Windows may have shuffled the IRQ's around when you re-installed so that could fix it, just re-install in the order that they went in the first time. Can't imagine why it causes problems if there isn't any IRQ sharing, Creative tech support was talking about "bus collisions" in their Annihilator newsgroup. Sounds fishy to me but who knows.

And yes you could always try 1X and/or disabling sidebanding if for some reason it's now enabled and wasn't before. This seems to fix 90% of all GeForce lock-ups, and you do have your front side and AGP bus raised to get the overclock you have. This seems to govern what AGP multiplier and features you can have enabled.

I am still baffled by the fact that before my reformatting an reinstall of windows my geforce worked great.

As far as agp x1 what do you mean? Currently, my agp setting is set to 2/3 because of my 100fsb. are you suggesting setting it 1 to 1?

I am gunna try installing my old tnt(pci) and a sound card then check for stability, and make sure Q3 runs, then take out the tnt(pci) and install the geforce. i'll leave the nic totally out of the formula. hopefully this will do it. i'll look into my bios settings as well.

btw, what is an agp miniport???

Okay, I don't know of how much helpful this could be, bu I got the same problems with a GeForce SDR for a longggg while, trying to resolve the situation...What i figured out is 3 things :

- Set your AGP Speed to 1x.
    - Disable "Super Bypass" in BIOS if it is enabled.
    - Finally, make sure your agp port is not sharing IRQs (IMPORTANT).

Hope this helps !

eL_NiNo =)
    Regards,

el-nino

Heeee Just re-read myself, Not agp port but your video card that shouldn't share IRQs (Guess you already figured it out though) :P

I knowwwwwww that's my fault I'm sorry
    Regards,

el-nino

Not an Athlon El_nino, but good advice for an Athlon user. AGP 1X,2X and 4X are AGP bus multipliers, your BH-6 is 2X only. You actually should be able to use 2X with a BX based system, some haven't but most will do it. Sidebanding on an overclocked BX motherboard isn't working at this time so make sure it's off. Oops, that's right your AGP bus is at 66mhz nominal with your system. Still disable sidebanding with Powerstrip www.entechtaiwan.com to make sure

Really weird I know, usually formatting and re-installing Windows will fix problems rather than cause them. I really suspect that you hadn't found a problem yet or it was the new IRQ arrangement, even though they aren't shared. I do know that some BH-6 users were having to up the voltage to the AGP slot to get a GeForce to work. The 3.3 nominal spec either isn't enough for GeForce or your motherboard isn't at 3.3 volts, or both.

Answer has been found! Thanks for all of the advice.

Last night I reformatted, tuned bios to leadtek's specs, and reinstalled winblows again with only my geforce installed.

I went to http://www.nvidia.com/Products/GeFor...f/Support.html to get the specs. They listed a very helpful program that allowed me to figure out whether Open GL was working. 3Dlabs' X29 test program. I figured out that my card was rendering and not my software. Ok so what could it be?

It seems to be the version of Direct X that I was running. I installed the Direct X off of the Quake 3 CD figuring that should be recent enough and I believe I went to microsoft to upgrade it. For some reason my vid card didn't like it. So I installed the direct X off of the drivers cd for my card and viola!!! all of my 3d games worked again.

Call me a rookie but I still don't understand why my card didn't work with the Direct X off of Quake that I bought a week ago, which I believe I upgraded via windows update to 7.0a. Oh well, live and learn...

This may sound stupid, but have you configured your monitor? Installed the correct driver for it?

Thread Information