Graphics Blaster TNT AGP won't run Quake III Arena
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Graphics Blaster TNT AGP won't run Quake III Arena

Graphics Blaster TNT AGP won't run Quake III Arena

I'm having a problem with Open GL and my video card. When I try to run Quake it locks up the system. I've installed the latest drivers from Creative, updated the AGP port on the motherboard, Direct X 7 and Open GL. I also flashed the ROM on the card to the latest version. One of the utilities I downloaded picks up Open GL fine (v 4.00.can't remember) and another locks up when I try to access the Open GL portion of the troubleshooter. All my other hardware drivers are working fine. I have an AMD K6-2 350 3D Now, 128 M RAM, and Win 98. From surfing other sites it seems like this has been a problem with the card since Quake II, however I couldn't find anything that offered a fix that I haven't already tried. In case it helps to pinpoint the problem, I also can't get my desktop above 800x600 /32, even with the specific driver for my monitor installed. The card should do up to 1600x1200. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

i am a amd user myself
    i had k6.2-300 before, and a week ago, i custom built a k7-800
    k6.2 300 series is very unstable, because they are running at 66 MHZ only.
    when you use a cpu that is running at 66 mhz with a video card that is running at 100 mhz, you will run into some problem sooner or later. no to mention the fact that with 66 mhz cpu, it can not enjoy all the benefit
    that your vedio card has to offer.
    my suggestion to you is to upgrade ur system to athlon
    athlon cpu is very very very cheap right now
    the new cpu t-bird helps push athlon price down.
    you can get a athlon 700 cpu for only $150
    i got my athlon 800 few days ago for only $240

FD I dont think that it would matter if it was running on a 66Mhz bus. 66 is just as stable as 100. Besides, 300's can use 100Mhz bus and he doesn't have a 300 he has a 350 and that is definately on a 100Mhz bus if it is clocked @ 350 (Not that this would really matter in terms of stability but..)

Seand, it sounds like a variety of things.
    Re: low resolution. Either you're monitor doesn't support anything higher or driver installation went bad. Also this is a slim possibility but it happened to my Viper330: There could be bad ram chips on your video card which would limit resolution, decrease performance and maybe stability sometimes. This is slim but it happened to me so I thought I would give mention.

Also remember that non-stop problems related w/ agp cards and ss7 systems is not uncommon.
    Do you know which particular motherboard you have??

Thanks for your replies! I don't think it's the monitor (17" AOC 7G). My old card was a Diamond Stealth 2000 (4MB) and it did 1024x768+. I just downloaded the exact inf file for my monitor last night so I don't think it's been corrupted already. It wasn't loaded through a wizard.. I updated the driver and told it which file to use manually.

The guy I bought the card from had it in his system and ran Quake no prob. Is there any way to test the memory on the card itself to check for faulty modules?

My motherboard is an FIC VA-503+. I just downloaded an update for it.. I'm at work tho so I can't test it out. =)

I dont know of any real way to test the ram but for mine everything that used to say I had 8 Megs of ram on my card then said I had 4 and later 2!. That is when the performance in games dropped like a rock seeing as it was a 128-bit card with only 2 megs of working ram.

so check directx and maybe your display control panel or anything else that shows info on your card and see how much ram it displays.
    The other thing you should do is benchmark your graphics card in a few different ways and compare it to similar setups.

I dont know of any sure-fire way to see though.

Okay Okay, Here it goes.....MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 'AGP 2X' DISABLED IN YOUR BIOS!!!!!
    Thats it.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions!

The properties are returning the correct amount of memory for the card. The Creative AGP utility only let's me select 1x so I would assume that is all set although I'll double check it in the BIOS.

I'm pretty sure the problem resides somewhere with my Open GL. I don't know why it is having such a hard time with it.

I do have two Open GL drivers installed.. one from Opengl.org (v4.00) and one from nVidia (v 4.12). Would that be causing a conflict? I installed 4.0 first and it didn't work so I installed the updated nVidia one. Should I have removed the old dll file? Seems like it would be able to detect the old version and remove it if it were going to cause an issue.

Thread Information