What's The Best DDR Geforce To Buy?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What's The Best DDR Geforce To Buy?

What's The Best DDR Geforce To Buy?

Anyone Know Which Is The Best DDR Geforce? And How Good Are They With Unreal Tourney, Will It Perform As Well As My 12mb V2 In My Athlon System?
    Thanks

------------------
    Athlon 700@800, 128mb, Voodoo 2, 17' Sony 210ES, SB Live.
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

Firstly:- read the faq as there are Althlon mobo problems. Geforce FAQ

Secondly:- Basically all the Geforce cards perform the same as they all follow the Nvidia reference design very closely. Any differences are slight and mainly in the features or cost. Some are clocked slightly higher, nothing you can't do yourself.

You can therefore make a choice on the cost if you are on a budget, and be assured of not getting a lower performing card. The Creative card is often the cheapest in the UK but do save yourself some grief and go for a GTS. The reasons IMHO:-

Firstly I have an Asus v 7700 GTS (Geforce 2), currently overclocked @ 230mhz GPU/395 memory. The GTS has the new .18 micron GPU that runs much cooler and uses less power than the .22 micron GPU on the Geforce 1 SDR / DDR. I did have a Creative Annihilator Pro DDR (Geforce 1)before.

The GTS brings minor revisions to the GPU other than the reduced die that give an overall performance increases of, UPTO, 30%. at standard clock speeds. Also as you can see by my o/c results the GTS takes overclocking better, partly due to the criticism of the original card not doing so very well, and mainly because of the better GPU, much reduced heat, and higher yield batches of infinion DDR SGram.

If you already have a Geforce 1 and are happy with the performance then stick with it unless you can sell it for a good price, if not beg borrow or steal the extra cash.

My v7700 is a 32mb Pure version, not Deluxe. They also make a 64mb version but unless you play games at 1280x768 and above there will be very little to gain by having this extra ram as memory bandwidth is the main bottleneck with the GeForce architecture. Having said that a 64mb card may keep its value better in the long term due to the "perceived" performance potential non educated subscribers will believe. price is king see what you can get.

I can recommend the GTS over the Geforce 1 everytime due to the lower heat output/power consumption of the later card. You are much more likely to get stability problems with the Geforce 1.

The above taken with 26C ambient room temp, GTS running at idle with Asus "Rain" and Alpha PAL6035 copper insert heatsink on the GPU

It will blow you away after a V2 and with the 4.13UT patch, (not the latest i've found) UT is ultra smooth on my sys.

in The shop where I work the Sparkle Geeforce DDR is about 35 cheaper than the CL Annialator (it's easier to spell too). Basically like OEM but in a box, got no software bundled with it except the drivers. We had one in our demo machine and it screemed.

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

JollyRoger

Maybe the case in your shop but what's the price? www.aria.co.uk Creative Geforce Pro 32mb 125 + vat = 146.88

ha "will it preform as good as my voodoo2" ok think about your voodo2 now multiply the preformince by 2 or 3 and you get the geforce. the best one is the asus V6800 delux
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

Thanks alot BladeRunner You've really Persuaded Me To Buy A Geforce 2, What's The Cheapest You've Seen One Over Here In The UK And What Is The Price Of The Same Card In America As i Am Going There Soon (August).
    Also I've Only Got A 250w PSU With My Athlon (0.18u) Do You Think I Will Need A 300w PSU To Use A Geforce 2?
    Thanks

------------------
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

AthlonOverclocker

I'm sure you'll be happy with a GTS, it's a big upgrade from a Voodoo 2. The Creative card is usually one of the Cheapist in the UK, (185 + vat retail), I just liked the hardware monitoring the Asus card offers.

Try www.simply.co.uk

or www.dabs.com

They maybe a little more than other online stores but they are both free delivery and they are normally stock these items.

More about this HERE

Subscribe to the Creative newsgroup now as it is a good information source even if you aren't getting a Creative card:-

account news.creativelabs.com

newsgroup creative.products.3d_blaster.annihilator

have a look at my answer HERE on this thread regarding the pros & cons of buying hardware from the USA.

Let me know what you get and how you get on, the only problem I can see so far is possible AGP 4x problems with the Athlon systems, although with current hardware there is little or no difference between 2x & 4x.

If you go for a GTS (geforce 2) then you should have no problems with your current PSU as the GTS requires 9 watts, (geforce 1 18 watts).

As always Check the Geforce FAQ first if you get any problems with instalaton.

Regards BladeRunner

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 06-25-2000).]

Thanks Alot BladeRunner I Think I Will Defently Get The GTS Now, What Is The Equivelent Price In Pounds In America For The Creative And Asus Cards?
    Thanks Again

------------------
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

I'm not totally sure on the US price it's definately cheaper, post a topic asking for the best US price, It can't hurt, and may give you some pointers.

If you checked my link, I would still advise not to do this, although tempting, due to the lack of any warrenty in the UK for US purchased products.

I Did Check The Link, But It Still Sounds SO TEMPTING, I'll Post That Topic Now!

------------------
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

Thread Information