10 reasons for why FSAA is like a drug
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 reasons for why FSAA is like a drug

10 reasons for why FSAA is like a drug

1-If you never had it, you are curious to see how it is

2-People who have tryed it will always try to push you in

3-In the bergining it's wonderfull but with time you will get used to it and it's effect will be less powerfull to your organism, so if you want more pleasure you will need more and more

4-Once you have it, leaving it will be extrmeley hard

5-It comes at a very expensvie price

6-It's too late when you notice you have lost controll of it

7-The viciated will become sick for it, and some might stay crazy too (hehehe)

8-You can't even trust your best friend if he's viciated

9- It will take you to a new world that seems cool in the begining, but later on you will have to suffer if you want to continue with it

10- This new world is not real, it's no way to escape from your real problems

*LOL* Damn right

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Sounds a lot like sex (but a lot less fun), especially that number 5.

"If you want to know what it's like to be married, just find a woman you can't stand to be around and buy her a house." -Pat Paulsen, approx.

Hey, FSAA is better than sex. Well, maybe not, but you can have it at the office, too. Mind you, you'll have to be a damn goood buls**tter to get the employer to pay for the most expensive broad. Erm... I mean BOARD

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moraelin (edited 06-18-2000).]

Moraelin Nice one

I would be interested to try the 3dfx FSSA as the Nivida hack is a bit weird. looks good and works well in half-life but I don't like it in Q3, looks better without it IMHO.

I know you don't like Quake but do you have Q3?? I'd like to know what you think of the FSSA on it with your card.

Also are you of German nationality?, I don't wish to sound rude but you have a very good command of the subtleties of the English language . You know us English are terible at learning other languages

Had the Q3A demo only at the office, where I don't have a V5, and it was a while ago. At home I've only tried the Linux version, which ran like crap on the Matrox G400 I had back then. Maybe I'll try it again, just to see how good the Linux support for the V5 is. (For previous 3DFX cards, I'm told it was the best.)

As for my English, what can I say, I just learned it in school, plus reading a ton of English books. Plus ten years or so of mudding on the Internet, and whining... erm... posting valuable stuff on various boards.

------------------

Moraelin

Wish I found language learning easy e-mail me when you get a min, what are your system specs bye the way?

You english folks are so lazy you can't even learn another language? Come on dude, it isn't that complicated... if you never tryed it of course it will seem hard

I can't argue with you Broder I think it probably comes from the old Empire days "when all these dashed foreigners had the effrontery to talk to us in a foreign tounge, while we were taking over their country in the name of the king .

Also being an Island doesn't help. I've only met two Brazilians,(both racing drivers) and they both had a reasonable command of English as well.

Hmm... I've spent an entertaining two hours downloading the Q3A demo, and another hour or so running the demos in various resolutions, colour depths and FSAA settings.

Well, IMHO you don't really need FSAA for THIS game, if you can do 1280x1024 in 32 bit. The levels are still mostly various shades of crap brown, so there isn't much contrast. Plus, everything happens at such insane speed, that you don't have the time to check out the details anyway.

For that matter, you probably don't really need 32 bit or high res for Quake 3 either. At THAT speed, you'd be very hard pressed to even notice the details, much less the difference.

As I've said before, where FSAA really becomes noticeable is in games where you have high contrast, and maybe less fast action. Counter-Strike would be a good example in the shooter genre. But even that doesn't come even close to the kind of contrast you get in a space sim.

E.g., in "Tachion: The Fringe", when you fly 5 minutes past a huge near-white space base on a pure black background, you WILL see crawling edges even in 1600x1200. Hell, I can even see them with 4xFSAA, if I squint. But without it I'd need some major will power to ignore them.

------------------

Moraelin

Well on my system it looks superb It is beautifully detailed runs so smooth, (I get 120fps to 130fps most of the time at 1024x768), and is very colourful.

Maybe you need to change some settings because it does look crap without all the eye candy turned on. It also has curves and arches which is what I miss most in UT. Now that I can actually run UT smoothly with a GTS I have been playing it more and it is good I like them both and if you are a serious gamer you should have them both as they both have their good points.

UT is just so graphically "old" compared to Quake 3 IMHO

If You'd mailed me I was going to offer you the full version the demo doesn't contain the best looking ones although the space one is good.

Hmmm... I think Q3 is pretty colorful.

Unlike UT, it does NOT have grossly overdone colored lighting. UT graphics look like a bunch of neon tubes exploded in Quake 1 or Half-life maps. I guess if that is all you play then you switch to Q3 (or any other game for that matter) it would look bland and colorless.

You came up with this opinion on your own right? You didn't just read that ignorant news comment on directxgaming.com and suddenly form this opinion, did you? Just checking...

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Hmm... Dunno, Blade. First thing I've done was turn the settings to high quality, then drag the texture detail slider to the max. If there is more eye candy than that, I must have missed it.

Maybe it's the maps or something. I've only checked out the ones in the two demos. (Which also happen to be the first two single player maps in the demo version.) If there are more colourful maps, I never saw them.

Don't get me wrong, there are some coloured patches, like that red mouth-like thing with the armour in it. But all things considered it's still a low contrast game. There are very few instances of sharp contrasts.

As for Freon, what can I say? Believe it or not it IS my very own oppinion of the game. I didn't even know of the site you mention, but maybe I'll check it out now. In fact, the funny thing is: if you look on the web, all the sites seem to LOVE Quake, but in Real Life I know of only ONE person who actually likes it. Admittedly I only know two who play UT, too... Even in the shooter genre, last I've checked there were easily twice as many servers, and easily four or five times as many players, for Half-Life and its various mods than for UT.

But thing is... there are a helluva lot of people out there who still play RPG's, sims and strategy games. We may not be as vocal as the Q3 and UT gang, and we may not group in clans, but there are a lot of us who basically feel abbandoned by the game companies. Much as I like UT, it doesn't even come close to how much I LOVED the sprite and turn based Fallout 2.

AND I didn't mean making it look like exploded neons, nor like a bad acid trip. A dark tunnel on a whitewashed wall is a very good example of contrast that you can see every day In Real Life. A dark staircase railing against a wall is another very realistical example.

As you may have noticed, for a high contrast setting I didn't even mention Unreal Tournament, but Counter-Strike. I'm aware that not everyone likes that one, either, but realistic it does look. I've yet to find a map that looks like exploded neons

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moraelin (edited 06-20-2000).]

BladeRunner, move to London

practically every language represented there, if you run into the right people
    "No doubt the truth, as usual, would be somewhere between the extremes" -Arthur C Clarke

FS

I was born in London, or middlesex (Ruislip)to be exact, and only move here, Norfolk to get a better quality of life and avoid the rat race

Thread Information