Installation error
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Installation error

Installation error

My computer is old. It's video card is built into the motherboard. I am trying to add a new video card.

I disabled the existing video card through the device manager and then installed the new card and rebooted. Things were fine. It recognized the new card, I installed the drivers ... then rebooted again.

NOW everytime I try to log in (ie boot) I get the following error which will NOT let me get on my system:

While initializing device VDD:
    Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.

What can I do? I am running Windows 95. Will Windows 98 help? I've checked my autoexec.bat, wini.ini, etc for references to the old card and have found nothing.

Thanks

Check your bios; sure there is a setting in there as well to disable it.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

I checked my BIOS ... nothing appears to be there to help me out.

I did find out all my IRQ slots are full, though. Disabling the original video does NOT free up the IRQ slot. The new one has NO IRQ slot assigned to it afterwards.

Question: The system will not let me reassign the original IRQ. There is no existing IRQ to assign for the new card.
    I am not sure what to free up to free an IRQ.
    If I disable the modem, and install the video ... would I then be able to reassign the new video IRQ to the old video IRQ (thus having them point to the same number), then reinstall te modem (hopefully) back to the original IRQ???

Ideas?

Thread Information