voodoo graphics voodoo 1
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: voodoo graphics voodoo 1

voodoo graphics voodoo 1

Can anyone tell me how I can get a patch to make my Orchid Righeous 3DFX VooDoo 1 card to work with the AMD k6/2 500mhz processor? It works fine with the intel 233mhz processor, but I get a full blue screen and system locks up when I use the AMD processor. Sorry about the pervious post in the wrong forum. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you got the latest drivers for the V1?.

I still got one of those cards here some where an Orchid, and I think they were taken over by someone else so you may have to hunt about. Are you using it with the same 2D card as you were in the other system?

Make sure you have no conflicts or IRQ sharing between these two and check the motherboard makers site to see if there is any bios Upgrades that relate to this.

I doubt it has anything to do with the processor it's self, check the link cable and Uninstall reinstall.

I had mine on a P166 a long time ago and it worked just fine. It is possible it dislikes AMD CPU's, If you get no joy you could ask if anyone has or is still using one on an AMD like yours

Edward, before I got my Voodoo3 and k6-2 450@500, I had a k6-2 333 overclocked to 458 with a Skywell Magic 3D Voodoo1 4MB accelerator combined with a matrox Mystique 220. I had no problems whatso ever with that card (except it was a little slow).
    Have you tried the 3DFX reference drivers?
    Later I upgraed to a Orchid Righteus 3D2 Voodoo2 and had no problems there either.

PS: The drivers that came with the two cards were awful. I used the 3dfx reference drivers for both. They can be found here: http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/ DS.
    HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797

I tried the reference drivers and still the blue screen and lock up. Ive tried everything possible. I notice that I have the same problem with a Cyrix 333mhz chip installed. The only chips that that work with this voodoo 1 are the pentium 200 or 233 chips. Is there a way that i can disable the 3dnow feature of the amd k2/2 500 chip?

I checked the IRQ's for conflicts and there are none. I also have the drivers from the original manufacturer. One thing that bothers me is that, when i install any drivers for the voodoo1 card, the device manager always says that there are no drivers loaded or needed for this device. I am running windows 98 second edition. Maybe i better give up and get a voodooo2.

That maybe the best option as it's a lot of trouble for a card that probably wont cope with or be compatable with many of the latest games.

Try to stretch the budget for a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI if you can, (Unless you have a AGP slot), that will be your best option. all you should need is a fan on the heatsink and Overclock to get V3 3000 performance. It would certianly inject some get up and go into your systems 3D, and you won't need a seperate 2D card.

Before you completely give up, you might want to send 3dfx an email. Orchid may be long gone but 3dfx isn't (yet, lol). They may be able to help you. Worth a shot at least.

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Thread Information