3D Prophet II GTS 64mb
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Prophet II GTS 64mb

3D Prophet II GTS 64mb

Has anyone heard anything about this card? I've been trying to get the low down on it but I can't seem to find any info. Also are there any other GTS 64mb cards available soon? I need a new video card to replace my Diamond viper V550 tnt card. I do alot of graphics work in 3D Studio Max and need something some good power. But I gotta play some games too, of course
    Thanks

Yes, I have ordered a Prophet GTS 64 Meg, I should expect delivery today. Out of the box they apparently are clocked with 366MHz on the memory as standard.
    Manchester United are crap.

...Go over to www.rivastation.com, you will find a review of the 64 meg Prophet2 there.
    ..."As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another"...
    Proverbs 27:17

Hmmm... Took a quick trip to www.hercules.com and looked at the specs. They say it's got 333MHz memory (same as everyone else.) Plus, from what I've read everywhere else, those poorly fitted heatsinks make it the worst card at overclocking.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Well after so much p!$$!ng about by 3dfx, I took delivery of my Prophet GTS 64 Meg yesterday. The performance is stunning. I was running UT in 32bit colour at 1600x1200 and it was averaging on a level over 42fps !!!!

I got Quake demo1 at 126fps with 1024x768x32!!

For some reason the version 5 drivers dent the opengl support performance for Quake though, the version 3 supplied with the card gave me these results. As soon as I went 5.22, the performance practically halved on opengl only, not direct3d.

And the heatsinks look perfectly fitted, it looks a very professional card in blue!

The following comes from www.stomped.com and their own review of the Prophet II. In fact, it's the starting paragraph.

"Warning to all prospective Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 64MB owners: If your card suffers lock ups and stuttering at high resolution or high detail levels, check the card clock settings. I found my card unable to reach the 220 core/366 memory factory settings and had to reduce to 200/333 before the lockups disappeared. I spoke to Guillemot representative about the core and memory clock speeds should be 200/333 though for some reason a percentage of UK cards are getting set to a default of 220/366 when installed in systems. They said the memory clock should be fine up to 366, but the core shouldn't be any higher than 200."

First of all, to me this looks suspiciously like a cheap benchmarketing stunt from Hercules. They send the cards overclocked to high heaven, and if it works, hey, look at what cool numbers it's got in that review. And if it doesn't, oopsie, it's really a honest mistake, you need to clock it down to where every other GTS card is.

Second, lemme get this straight, with the exact same Infineon 6ns DDR chips, and the exact same GTS core, it can't do 220/366? In spite of having put heatsinks on everything but the kitchen sink? (OK, so we all know what a CRAP job they've done with those blue heatsinks, but bear with me ) Most sites got their Gladiac's or Asus 7700's higher than that without cool blue heatsinks everywhere.

------------------

Moraelin,
    Dont get me wrong I am not against the voodoo's in any way, I have had a Voodoo 1,2 and 3. They were all quality cards.

The problem lies with the fact that 3dfx keep putting back release dates. I was going to get a voodoo 5, but the last straw was when they were recalled before release.

So I opted for a Prophet GTS 64 meg. I am telling you, the heatsinks are perfectly fitted. My GTS worked perfectly out of the box, FIRST TIME, I have not had ANY problems that you have described.

You cannot argue with 1600x1200x32 in UT with average 40+ fps? Tell me you cant argue with it? The voodoo would probably not get near that. Not that I am knocking the voodoo because it has some quality features and thats why I wanted to buy one. But, alas 3dfx have lost another customer for delaying so much.

Umm... PB, don't get me wrong, either. This is not generically about the GTS, and it's definitely got absolutely nothing to do with the Voodoos. That's a whole other thread.
    (Though, if you really want to get into that, you can go to www.anandtech.com and look at the Kyro preview. It's got benchmarks of all major cards in it. And, yes, in UT the new Voodoos scored by far higher than the GTS, or anything else. And it was tested in DirectX mode, not with Glide.)

But again, this isn't about Voodoo vs GTS. If you like the GTS more, so be it. It's your money. The whole point was about Hercules. If they wanted to sell a card with faster memory, they could have tested it at that speed.

It's perfectly possible to test the DDR chips, or even the finished boards, and split them into those who can and those who can't do 366. I know many people got 375 MHz or in some cases even 400 MHz out of their Elsa Gladiac's or Asus 7700's memory. So it is perfectly possible to test and find some that can be guaranteed to run at 366. I mean, wth, it's only a 9% increase.

But the point is that Hercules did no such testing. Some cards will run at their default 366, and for the others they'll just tell you "oopsie." I didn't see them correcting any site which published benchmarks with the card at 366, and concluding it's the fastest GTS card. And that kind of a business strategy I have a problem with.

As for the blue heatsinks, have a look at www.thetechzone.com and see what they have to say. It's not even the only site. Briefly, those heatsinks are very poorly fitted. The one on the GPU isn't well pressed, and the thermal tape has air bubbles all over too. And the RAM heatsinks would be a mildly good idea, only most of them only touch the RAM chips on the edges, leaving a layer of air between the chip and the heatsink.

------------------

I cant get to the Anandtech site cos the sodding proxy is playing up, I will check it tonight.

Anyway, was the GTS tested a 64Meg Prophet. I have seen evidence (cant remember where just yet), that the 64Meg versions run faster in higher resolutions.

Yes I agree, they should have tested the DDR chips properly, but I thought the speed of the GPU needed to be turned down for things to work not the RAM speed? According to the article you published Guillemot say you should turn down the GPU speed from 220 to 200.

I am going to go home tonight and rip out my card. I will check the fitting of these heatsinks and I shall get back to you tonight.

I will also check the Anandtech site...

Catch you later...

so have you guys tried overclocking your cards yet? And if there is a problem with the heat sinks not being well fitted can't you reapply them some how? pb where did you order your card from? How much did you have to shell out for it? What OS do you guys run also? 2000?

Yes, a few sites showed the 64MB as being faster, because of the memory and core that are overclocked by default. Note however, that the Hercules does not guarantee them to run at those settings, but claims that to be a mistake. Basically how fast you can run it is based just as much on luck as with any other GTS board. It's the same GTS core, and the same Infineon DDR chips as on any other board.

E.g., have a look at the review on Next Dimension Hardare

Basically, their conclusion is that the 64 MB one isn't any faster in today's games, and does not justify paying the extra money. Except if you want bragging rights. (That's their own wording.)

Also, the final paragraph is pretty interesting:

"The 3D Prophet II GTS would crash during 3DMark 2000 testing. According to tech support at Guillemot, the card we received was slightly defective."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moraelin (edited 06-09-2000).]

Stryfe,
    I have not tried overclocking yet, but I will, and I shall keep you posted on that.

I dont know what side of the pond your on, but I am in England, I got mine from www.thefutureonline.net .

As for the tests on Anandtech, Moraelin if you look at the Quake 3 tests, the GTS wipes the floor with every other card in almost every test, including the voodoo 5!

As for the UT tests, some of the frame rates are pityful, down to 26fps on the GTS, which is absolute rubbish. I barely have a performmance hit switching to 32bit colour and my average on 1600x1200x32 on dm_deck16 is 45fps!!!

Did they run a demo on UT, I didn't read the whole article? But if they did, I will run it.

Oh yeah, I run 2000 Profeesional.

Yeah, even of there are probs with the heatsinks (and I am not sayng there are), I am sure they can be re-applied. The heatsinks look perfectly fitted. They dont just contact the edges of the chips they are flush!!!

64MB should help GeForce 2 on 32-bit textures...

64Mb should help Geforce 2 on 32-bit textures...

Umm... PB, first of all even in Q3 it doesn't wipe the floor by that great a margin. Look at the numbers for 32 bit colour, and at least 1280x1024. I mean, c'mon, you're not telling me you've bought this expensive card to play in 800x600, 16 bit colour, and with the lowest quality settings, too

As for UT... as we both know different levels behave differently. E.g., in half the levels I get more FPS than in cityintro. Deck16 is good and fine, but I can easily think of more demanding maps. But if you want to stress your hardware, get DM-2ndSpaceBeacon, set a game with 8 bots and go up on one of the buildings in a corner, looking straight at the opposite corner and a bit downwards. The FPS count should drop a lot.

------------------

Thread Information