Ati Video card or other w/ dvd capability? Quick!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Ati Video card or other w/ dvd capability? Quick!

Ati Video card or other w/ dvd capability? Quick!

I've finally ordered my chip and mobo....an Amd k62-500 for $40 and a epox mvp3G2 for $77 excl. shipping. So now all there is to do is to choose the right video card

The question is should I get a separate video and decoder card for watching dvd's or should I buy a card like the Ati All in wonder - is there a similar card for under $100. Also what's the best sub $100 ati card with all the functionality of a decoder card. I checked out the available ati cards and there are a mil. diff models...expert, expert @ play, rage, all in wonder...and so on. Which is the nest in my price range. I'll probably be watching dvd's mainly on my monitor..at work, naturally but also want the ability to hook it up to the tv. Also do these cards have an audio out?
    I'll be making the purchase Monday so hurry.

Subnote: I've just built my friend a k62 500 sytem on a Dfi 2mb cache board with and Io/magic tnt card...we installed it with no problems but then we loaded Startrek Armada(not my choice) and it froze everytime he started playing???

"$10 000 fer me, for that you'll get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

Siamese Guest
    Startrek ARMADA is full of crap code. It is the most unstable piece of **** I've ever attemped to play so don't worry if u cant run it properly. Try alternating drivers to get it to work if u're really into it.

As for u vid card. If u reall really want an ATI card, go and get a ATI Rage Fury PRO.

But I really recommend a GEFORCE DDR, if u can afford it. U can find some geforces with a tv-out also. They also have decent motion compensation for DVD play back if u use WINDVD 2K which directly supports the feature. [i]My pick would either be the Asus 6800 Deluxe (tv-out and editing capabilities)or the ELSA Erazor X2 DDR which also has tv-out and a 6 year warrantee.
    or the

i have an ati rage fury and it runs fine. i have run armada without any problems at all. just get the latest driver and you will be fine. hope this helps
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

okay I've checked all th prices on the Ati cards and these are the ones I can afford:

xpert 128 16mb
    Rage Fury 128 16mb
    xpert 2000 32mb

Which is the best, I reconsidered and do not care if they do not have tv out!

i have a 32mb rage fury i might sell. how much you looking to spend? it doe shave tv out too

Originally posted by stevob:
    okay I've checked all th prices on the Ati cards and these are the ones I can afford:

xpert 128 16mb
    Rage Fury 128 16mb
    xpert 2000 32mb

Which is the best, I reconsidered and do not care if they do not have tv out!

i posted a ati question on the board. i've got an ati fury pro and haveing problems getting the updated web drivers to work.(4.12.6269-web) any suggestions?wazoo

Thread Information