QuantmShft's P3V4X Project..Interim Video Card..
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: QuantmShft's P3V4X Project..Interim Video Card..

QuantmShft's P3V4X Project..Interim Video Card..

Hi,
    There doesn't seem to be a clear cut winner in the current Cat fight between the video card vendors and it looks like there might not be for a few months yet. I have decided to get a much cheaper, but still reasonably competent, video card and wait it out. When there is a clear winner I pick up one of those cards and swap it in for the interim card which can be used in another system. I have decided to set the price limit on this card at no more than $150 and yet it must give at least acceptable performance in the majority of games and be capable of at least 24 bit color. I am currently thinking of the Guillemot 3D Prophet SE SDR which can be had for about $130 at Altima Solutions. I would like to get the forum members opinions on this

Btw, its intended for a system I am building:
    Asus P3V4X
    Pent.III 600e
    256 Megs of PC-133 HSDRAM

If you want to wait out the Geforce 2/Voodoo 5 fight, I would suggest the Geforce SDR (like you said, only $130), or the Voodoo 3 2000 (found it for $69 + S&H). Both decent cards for what they do.
    The Geforce SDR is actually going to run pretty close to the Geforce DDR, GTS, and V5 at low resolutions.

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Originally posted by Freon:
    The Geforce SDR is actually going to run pretty close to the Geforce DDR, GTS, and V5 at low resolutions.

Thanx for the confirmation, this was my thinking as well, and I usually do run things at 800x600 although this might change with the new system

Thread Information