Voodoo 2 worth adding to Riva TNT?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo 2 worth adding to Riva TNT?

Voodoo 2 worth adding to Riva TNT?

I currently have a 16MB Riva TNT video card and was wondering if a true 3DFX video card like a Voodoo 2 would make games such as NHL 2000 and Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed look better than with my plain Riva TNT (which doesn't have real 3dfx).

Any words of wisdom on this would be much appreciated. I know that both of these cards aren't exactly the newest...don't laugh too hard!

It doesn't work like that as you can only use one card at a time, except with the Voodoo2 which you can SLI two cards together to get about Voodoo 3 performance.

Some gamers choose this option to get native Glide support in games because the Nvidia cards lack this. The reason you can only use a voodoo 2, is it is a 3d only card so In theory it should get on with the other 2d/3d card in your machine but you can still only use one or the other in 3d games. the above just gives you the abilitly to cover all options. A Voodoo 3 2000 (overclocked to 176 is the same as a 3000) or a TNT2 U would be good upgrade choices. The TNT giving better image quality with 32bit colour and the Voodoo giving better compatability with the Glide support for 3dfx coded games.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 05-27-2000).]

Aslo keep in mind that many of the older games don't allow you to choose display adapters. for example, if you are running a DirectX game, alot of times the game will default to the Voodoo2, even thought the TNT may have better quality and better drivers. But this is a rare in modern games.
    A voodoo 2 is a really good card, I loved mine, but as Blade pointed out, maybe a new 2D/3D solution might be the way to go. And as also shown, a Voodoo3 2k would be a great choice, owned one of those too, and it is a great card!
    Abit BE6 MoBo
    Celeron II 950 @ 1.2GHz
    256 PC 133
    Windows XP Pro
    Ati 8500LE 128DDR
    NEC 19" Monitor
    Creative SB Live! 5.1
    Maxtor 20Gig HDD 7200

Sorry, I was a little deceiving there, I did know that you could only use the 3d from 1 card or another in a given game.

What I meant was, has anyone had experience playing Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed and/or NHL 2000 with the benefit of a Voodoo 2 versus with just a Riva TNT. Did you see a big improvement with the Voodoo 2?

Is the Voodoo 3 a add-on accelerator card like the voodoo 2 that just attached to another Video card or is it a stand alone video card with the 2D stuff as well?

Voodoo 3 is 2d and 3d, and will replace the old TNT. It only offers 16bit color, but should be considerably faster than your TNT. They can be had for around $75 for AGP or PCI formats.

------------------
    You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think! Slack and be free....study the wisdom of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs at www.subgenius.com/pam1/pamphlet.html

I always hear about the TNT2 being better that the Voodoo 3 in benchmarks, my question is if you have a true Glide game will the Voodoo 3 be way better for that?

If a game is truly Glide and only that, a TNT (2) won't run it, at all, or any non-3dfx card for that matter, unless you use those crappy Glidewrappers. Original Glide-coded games with Direct3D and/or OpenGL support will still run better on a Voodoo. Like UT.
    We came from the stars so they say, now it's time to go back. If I was conceived today, I would not get beyond eight cells, and yet here I am. In a way they were right, I don't have the heart for this world.

The question is, why am I having so much trouble dying?

Are there any video cards that have 3D modes for both real 3DFX and the other type of 3D mode? What I mean is, is there a video card that has both the voodoo and TNT chipsets so that all games can be played optimally?

The new Voodoo4/5 line of 3dfx cards, if they ever come out...
    We came from the stars so they say, now it's time to go back. If I was conceived today, I would not get beyond eight cells, and yet here I am. In a way they were right, I don't have the heart for this world.

Well I think those video cards are out of my price range....hell if I'm going to spend $500 on a video card I may as well save the money upgrade my processor, that'll surely get games running fast enough.

I'm just looking for something that actually works with 3DFX.....I really don't buy into these benchmark results anymore, it seems all the games I play (all the good games pretty much?) support 3DFX which makes all these supposedly great TNT2 cards etc. pretty useless in my mind. Well I guess maybe I just haven't found the games/apps that use these other cards, I hope some other people have found value in the TNT series...

I'm pretty sure the Voodoo 4 will be in the price range of the current Voodoo 3's, so that's not too overly expensive no ?
    They'll probably offer TNT 2 Ultra like performance, or even better.

You can always get a Voodoo 2 if you like...

Originally posted by Stoffie:
    I'm pretty sure the Voodoo 4 will be in the price range of the current Voodoo 3's, so that's not too overly expensive no ?
    They'll probably offer TNT 2 Ultra like performance, or even better.

You can always get a Voodoo 2 if you like...
    I dunno, in Canada these things seem to have their way of being really expensive when they first come on the market as compared to the USA...Currently the Voodoo 2 in Canada is $80 after a $20 rebate....which is like $50 U.S. Dollars. This is a little crazy considering we are talking about technology from like 1996-1997...

The Voodoo 4's target MSRP is $180. Big ouch considering it won't be much faster than the Voodoo 3 or TNT2. You can grab Voodoo 3 2000s for a mere $70 these days.

"Real 3dfx" doesn't matter. There is no "fake 3dfx." The only issue is Glide. And that is only an issue in a handful of games, most of them pretty old. UT is the only recent game that fubar'ed OpenGL and D3D support majorly.

I think you're better off selling the TNT and buying a Voodoo 3 2000 (PCI and AGP is available). You'll lose 32bit support, but the TNT is really slow at 32bit anyway. They're only about $70 in the US, so I'm sure you can find one for a decent price. Plus you should be able to unload the TNT for a few bucks.

Just don't bother with the Voodoo 2. I don't know about NHL, but NFS Porsche has OpenGL support and won't run much (if any) better on a Voodoo 2 than it will a TNT. I would assume NHL also has good OpenGL support.

For an extra $20 (minus whatever you sell the TNT for) the Voodoo 3 2000 is soooo much better than trying to get a TNT and Voodoo 2 to work together. Plus the performance will be a huge step up.

------------------
    BP6, Celermine 566@850, 320meg, CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

Why do I hear people saying that 3dfx cards suck and the new wave of the future is D3D and OGL...I personally agree that 3dfx is the way to go right now, but I'm always hearing that they're "losing the battle" and all the game manufacturers are going to stick with D3D and OGL...

I'm totally confused, maybe I need to wait 6 months let time tell what's really going to happen in the game industry.

I always thought that 3dfx and OpenGL card can't work together! At least, I read a lot of readme files and they say so. They say there are conflicts and stuff.
    Is that right?
    But I read of several people having TNT+V2...
    so I'm lost...
    BTW, GF rules!

Thread Information