Benchmark
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Benchmark

Hybrid View

Benchmark

Hi
    Which in your opinion is the best 3D benchmark? īBeen using the 3D Mark 99 Max but I donīt trust it much because in 2 Benchmarks in a row I get (slightly) different values. Could be influenced by booting between benchmarks. Thx

In quite a few bench progs you will get slightly different scores each time you run it, it's normal. you only have to worry if you're getting sevearly different scores without changing anything. Also, re-booting can make a difference, clears out the RAM and cools things downa bit.

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

All benchmarks should be taken with a "pinch of salt" as they are "jack of all trades" and masters on none.

You will usually get very slightly different results each time, as things are not constant when your system / CPU is running a task / application. This is normal and you should also get better results after a fresh reboot and Ctrl-Alt-Delete shutting down all programs except Systray & Explorer.

You can try 3D mark 2000 (free download) but that appears to be biased towards T&L

JollyRoger

Great minds think alike.......... or fools never differ??... Must get faster at finger typing

In the course of a few days you can download many benchmarks to check your system. SpecOPC Viewperf is a great professional OpenGL benchmark, 3DMark2000 is a good DirectX benchmark and the good ole' Quake series is always available for OpenGL (it never has been much more than a benchmark for me). As far as varying results in benchmarks what I have learned is if you are CPU or memory limited the results will vary more. My K6-2 would vary up to 5-10% sometimes but my Athlon never varies more than 2% on any given benchmark. But yes the more apps that are running and the more memory Windoze has hogged up makes a difference also.

Thread Information