Savage 4 / Stealth S540 trouble
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Savage 4 / Stealth S540 trouble

Hybrid View

Savage 4 / Stealth S540 trouble

Hi all.

I have the common freezing problem with a Diamond Stealth III S540. When windows is starting, the system freezes. This problem appears with Win95 and Win98! I tried many drivers without success. Then I noticed, that the lockups are gone when the hardware-acceleration-slider of windows is set to zero (no acceleration at all). So I bought a 3D-accelerator which only works, when the 3D-acceleration is disabled !!! *grrr*

My system: AMD K6/2-400, Asus P5a (Ali chipset), 128MB

I checked the card in other systems. The first was the same as above, except the mobo: Chaintech IGM (VIA chipset). Result: Same lockups as with the Asus. The second was a MMX187/75 (oc), Asus T2P4, 64MB. And guess - the card showed no problem at all!

My theorie was, that the overclocking of the PCI-bus may cause trouble, but it does not (see MMX system). So where is the problem? Is it the 100MHz bus? Shouldn't be because the PCI runs only with 33MHz (less than in the MMX). Is it the chipset? No, because Via and Ali had the same problems. Is it the cpu itself? Reading other postings in this forum, I think this must be the reason. If I remember it correctly, most postings with lockups are from K6 users.

This is very annoying.

Correct me, if I'm wrong. If someone has a solution, please post it!!

DocMigru

Yeah I had the same problem with one of those cards. I bought it for the computer I built my dad for xmas. Really pissed me off. I even resorted to calling tech support and the official word was "oh that is a very bad problem". "It probably won't work-- sorry". I was told to wait until newer drivers came out-- it is some kindof incompatibility. My dad's system had an Ali chipset on it, M5ATB Biostar board, k6-2 processor. Tech support also told me to try the beta drivers that they had on their site and get the updated drivers for the chipset-- but the guy I spoke with restated that it probably wouldn't work. I tried everything and rather than waiting for newer drivers I just sold it on ebay and some idiot who paid $30 bucks more than I had paid for it-- so that made me :-).

I know tech support said if you are using the AGP version in a motherboard with an Ali chipset that the newer chipset drivers will fix it. But then again if it is the pci version that I had your best bet is to sell it on ebay or make a keychain.

I aruged with a PCI s540 at Christmas time. I was trying to get it into a K6/2 machine. After a few days, I gave up, and put its' old Voodoo back in. I put the Stealth in a BX based PII system running NT instead. It likes it there, and is running well, with no problems.

So my experience conforms to your theory, this card didn't work in a K6 system with VIA chipset, but does work in a PII system with Intel chipset.

------------------
    Free advice, and worth every penny.
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

Hey Doc!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger... I have the exact same set-up... right down to the amount of RAM!

My problem was similar... But, my computer would not shut down or re-boot.

I am leaning toward the problem being in the ASUS P5 A-B motherboard. When I had an ATI video card... it would freeze when I tried to start the computer.

If you still have the manual on the motherboard... it tells you that you have to install the ALi AGP mini-port driver before the port will function properly... DON'T DO IT!!! Your system will lock up for sure!

So, my suggestion... Download the updated AGP driver from Acer... Version 1.60... Since I did that... my system seems to be running fine.

Whatever!

Doc -- try putting your card in another PCI slot -- for some reason this seems to solve that problem quite often.

Patti -- go to start --> run --> msconfig --> advanced --> toggle "Disable Fast Shutdown"

The Savage Station -- http://savagestation.cjb.net

I tried the PCI slot changing thing. No effect. The AGP driver can't be the problem, because I use the PCI Stealth S540. Nevertheless I tried different drivers without success. Even disabling AGP via BIOS didn't work.
    I think, this card will stay in my MMX187-system. There everything is ok. Benchmarks showed, that its a little bit slower than the old Millenium/Voodoo2 combination. But this is better than nothing.
    I'm still disappointed by this compatibility problem. Never again I buy any card from S3.
    DocMigru

My father was having trouble with his Diamond S540 and shutting the computer down/rebooting. It was solved with video bios upgrade from Diamond's site.

Had the same problem with the Diamond Stealth III S540 32 MB PCI card, FIC VA-503+ motherboard and AMD K6-2 380 Mhz CPU. System would lock up under Win 98 unless video was tuned to minimum resolution (640 X 480). Seems related to bus speed. My system would not work at either:

100 Mhz Bus X 4.0 clock = 400 Mhz CPU

or the recommended:

95 Mhz Bus X 4.0 clock = 380 Mhz CPU.

However, if you set the Bus lower than 95 Mhz, it seems to work. Don't ask me why this is true since the 100 Mhz Bus should only be running the card at the usual 33 Mhz. But there it is. I set the jumpers on the Mobo for:

83 Mhz Bus X 5.0 Clock = 416 Mhz CPU

and now the system runs perfectly. Go Figure!

Originally posted by DocMigru:
    Hi all.

I have the common freezing problem with a Diamond Stealth III S540. When windows is starting, the system freezes. This problem appears with Win95 and Win98! I tried many drivers without success. Then I noticed, that the lockups are gone when the hardware-acceleration-slider of windows is set to zero (no acceleration at all). So I bought a 3D-accelerator which only works, when the 3D-acceleration is disabled !!! *grrr*

My system: AMD K6/2-400, Asus P5a (Ali chipset), 128MB

I checked the card in other systems. The first was the same as above, except the mobo: Chaintech IGM (VIA chipset). Result: Same lockups as with the Asus. The second was a MMX187/75 (oc), Asus T2P4, 64MB. And guess - the card showed no problem at all!

My theorie was, that the overclocking of the PCI-bus may cause trouble, but it does not (see MMX system). So where is the problem? Is it the 100MHz bus? Shouldn't be because the PCI runs only with 33MHz (less than in the MMX). Is it the chipset? No, because Via and Ali had the same problems. Is it the cpu itself? Reading other postings in this forum, I think this must be the reason. If I remember it correctly, most postings with lockups are from K6 users.

This is very annoying.

Correct me, if I'm wrong. If someone has a solution, please post it!!

DocMigru

I have a diamond stealth 32meg pci with a amd 450@500 and everything is fine. Im running at 100fsb too. I just wish that the rendering was better. They have new drivers for it out, by the way
    Duron 1000
    ecs K7VZA motherboard
    with built in sound
    512 meg
    geforce2 gts 32meg
    15gig maxtor
    24x creative cdrom
    gateway 17in monitor
    and a cheap case
    running BeDOs

Thread Information