G-force 32mb or 64mb
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: G-force 32mb or 64mb

G-force 32mb or 64mb

How much better is the 64mb version compared to the 32mb version!

Actually benchmarks show that since there's really no games which take advantage of 64 meg cards, the benchmarks taken show that the 32 and the 64 are almost identical performers, we're talking maybe a frame or 2 difference.
    Go for the DDR 32 bit board, when games begin to support 64 meg cards, we'll have better cards by then and the voodoo6 and GeForce 2 DDR will have dropped dramatically in price and in fact we'd probably have new cards hitting the market by then showing off another next gen. feature or two.
    The 64 is kinda a bust when it comes to video cards.
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

It's only advantages are better performance when using 32-bit color at resolutions from 1024 x 768 and up, and in pretty much eliminating sporadic skips and jumps caused by texture swapping. Using 16-bit color (as I do), the results are pretty much identical as Erich already pointed out. Here's a link to look at:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1216
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

Originally posted by Erich:
    Actually benchmarks show that since there's really no games which take advantage of 64 meg cards, the benchmarks taken show that the 32 and the 64 are almost identical performers, we're talking maybe a frame or 2 difference.
    Go for the DDR 32 bit board, when games begin to support 64 meg cards, we'll have better cards by then and the voodoo6 and GeForce 2 DDR will have dropped dramatically in price and in fact we'd probably have new cards hitting the market by then showing off another next gen. feature or two.
    The 64 is kinda a bust when it comes to video cards.
    oh my mistake, I meaned the geforce 2 GTS, but has anyone been able to try the 64mb version yet?

Erich has basically summed up the whole issue and it applies to the Geforce 2 as well. Memory bandwidth is the main problem and an extra 64 mb will be an costly extra you don't need as It will provide no major real world gains with the current state of play.

What might be worth waiting for is the 200mhz (400mhz) DDR ram that will be used on the Geforce 2 cards later this year.

Thread Information